Antique Tractors Forum banner

Farmall Grill Question

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
Most all tractor grills have some sort of screen or mesh wire insert on the inside to keep material from being drawn into the radiator. I have two Super A grills that I'd like to spiff up a bit. The screens are torn and not in the best condition. Do any of yall know have any pointers to help me repair them so they look fairly decent without breaking the budget? These are working tractors so they do not have to be repaired to restoration standards. Thanks.

#3 ·
Finding the screen is not problem but figuring out a way to attach it is what has me puzzled. There are bendable clips and holders in the grill. One grill is worse than the other one as at sometime in its history a previous owner hit something with it and flattened a section with a couple of wrinkles. I've straightened it pretty well. I've thought about using some small nuts and bolts with fender washers. I'll come up with something.

#4 ·
I used pieces of electric fencing wire to tie screen on both my tractors. Worked well for those grills.
I didn't see evidence that Allis put screen behind them from the factory.

#6 ·
Got some of them Willy. Thanks and Dave there's plenty of wire here too. It's about as handy as duct tape.

Reactions: Lovesthedrive
#8 · (Edited)
Sounds like another good idea. One was mashed in pretty good but have it straightened fairly well, and I've been away from it since I posted this originally. We've been sawing and
splitting wood for next winter. It looks like we are gonna have a 4 to 5 day wet spell, and I hope to get back on it then.

#10 ·
Marshall's sells the actual clips and screens if want to keep original. They are located in Cynthiana, Ky.

#11 ·
Steiner has the repair parts too. I wanted to go to Marshall's while at Cynthiana during Jr.'s show but just did not make it.

#12 ·
They are very nice folks. Jr. Got me hooked up with them back in 2007. They do mail order too.

#13 ·
Where in Cynthiana is Marshall's located? Georgeky had recommended them to me also.

#14 · (Edited)
Unless they have moved? I have not been there for a while but I thought they were out by fairgrounds near where Jr. held his first tractor shows before moving them in town but not sure now exactly. I usually call them if I need something.
571 Ky Hwy 36 West
PO Box 145
Cynthiana, Ky 41031
1-888-824-0544 or 859-234-5889

#15 ·
Thanks for posting their numbers. I have them here somewhere but now they will be easier to find. During our last trip to Cynthiana we rode out 36, I think it's called Oddville Pike, for a ways, to tour the countryside. I probably passed Jr.'s house but did not know his address. It's beautiful there and the folks were so friendly and good to us.

#16 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post an update on my grill. I found the wire at the local hardware store. I tack welded the center vertical screen supports. I used the clips to hold it in place where they were usable. I used wire ties to hold the screen in place till the JB Weld set. I used it around the edges and on the vertical supports. The grill is at least usable and in much better shape than when I got the tractor. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.