Ether and small engines.
    Thanks

Ether and small engines.

It's a long story so I'll try to keep it short. My buddy's quad took in a little water earlier this winter when he got stuck in a place he should of never been in. He drained it all out and continued to run it. It eventually died and sounded like it ran out of gas. We pulled it into the shop to get it running. His dad loaded it with ether and got it to start. He continued to run it on ether until the engine seized. I think he got some water it the fuel system and froze it up causing it to run out of gas. I'm dang sure it had to be the ether that did it. His dad seems to think that water got into the cylinder and crankcase and caused it to seize. The oil was completely clean. Here are some pictures. I want to hear what you guys think, ether or sand and water.

1949 Allis Chalmers WD with 2 bottom plow
    1942 Farmall M with 4 row cultivator
    1949 Farmall M with Heisler 9 speed
    1973 John Deere 110 with blade
    1960 John Deere 45 combine
    1970 International Cub 154 lo boy
    1969 John Deere 112 blue patio with blade
    1962 Cub Cadet Original
    Free ain't cheap.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    My money's on the ether washing down the cylinder wall lubricant, along with detonation, instead of combustion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper For This Useful Post:

Lovesthedrive (02-12-2016)

Thanks
    I can't say as I've never abused an engine so bad that it looked like that when I took it apart.
    Then again, I've never used ether to try and start a small gas engine. Just found the problem why it wouldn't and fixed it.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.

Thanks
    I will use a little squirt of ether sometimes to waken an engine that has not been started in months after pulling the starter a few times. This serves as a reminder about too much of a good thing.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    Skipper nailed it. Good gosh, they must have ran that engine for a loooooong time on it to cause that much damage. This one rates up there with the top one or two I've ever seen !!! The excessive knocking, popping and rattling should've been a warning within just a few seconds that damage was occuring. They actually liquified the aluminum surface of the piston. Whew !!

Thanks

Unhappy

Ether to much of a good thing my rear. they should ban the sale of that stuff unless you can prove you own a 1949 D 9 cat and even then take a intelligents test .

Al
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...mallbeehat.png

Member MBA and SEMBA.
    Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alleyyooper For This Useful Post:

Lovesthedrive (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    He ran it for a minute before it seized. I was gonna tell him he shouldn't do that but if I did he probably would of done it anyway so I decided to keep my mouth shut. All I could do is cringe as he loaded it with ether. It needs a new jug, piston, and rod. Since the crankcase and trans are all one unit everything is contaminated. It would half to be stripped down and cleaned out good and once it was back together the oil would half to be changed often and the filter would half to be dissected until there wasn't any signs of steel shavings. The honda dealer quoted them $3000 which would be mostly labor. It would be about $500 in parts.
    1949 Allis Chalmers WD with 2 bottom plow
    1942 Farmall M with 4 row cultivator
    1949 Farmall M with Heisler 9 speed
    1973 John Deere 110 with blade
    1960 John Deere 45 combine
    1970 International Cub 154 lo boy
    1969 John Deere 112 blue patio with blade
    1962 Cub Cadet Original
    Free ain't cheap.