Case 400 Restoration - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Very nice job, really sharp, I owned a 400 row crop years ago, most reliable and inexpensive tractor tractor I ever owned

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Thanks, was my dad's, he bought it new around 1955 or so. Took a while and maybe a little more money than planned but am really glad I did it now. Now the old tires have to go..

Thanks
    any updates? what was the problem?

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    A few more things fixed up. Got the water pump changed out, fortunately my paint guy gave me some of the orange that was left over so I could match it up before I put it on. Got rid of the old Case hydraulic couplers and replaced with new Pioneer couplers. Hope to try the tractor on my laneway grader which needs 2 remotes. I changed it over to 12volts with a flamethrower coil and now it starts on the first turn. 12 volts made it easier to replace the lighting as well. Steering had a little too much play so took the steering box off and replaced the bearings. Oil pan is leaking a little at the end so I got a gasket set and will be changing it out. Gasket comes in 4 pieces so should be interesting. Anxiously waiting for the nice weather so I can get it out for a good run.

Thanks
    Where did you find the grill? My Dad had a 401 rowcrop. He traded his Farmall M for it. Had a trip loader on it. Bought it used. About a month after he got it, it broke right in the middle, broke a couple of the ears off. The blacksmith welded the ears back and made plates to the side of the engine, never had another problem. He sold it at his farm sale in 1980. My brother has one now and is slowly fixing it up, he uses it for tractor pulling just for fun and some in his straw baling and market garden. A neighbor that I baled hay for had one just like yours. I used it a few times raking if he was working and I needed to turn some hay. Always liked the color combination. Yours looks really nice. Good work....James

Thanks
    The grill was a challenge, finally found one in the states and paid big bucks to get it shipped to Canada. Opened it up and it was not the same as mine, quite a bit longer on the sides. After further investigation found it was for the big 400 and mine is the 400 standard. Fortunately a guy I know close by had a 400 diesel he was going to scrap so I bought the whole thing off him for less than what I paid to get the first grill. His sheet metal was in pretty good shape so my body man was able to get it straightened out. I got a local sheet metal guy to make me new fenders using my old ones as a guide. He said it was one of the hardest things he had tackled. So if you know anyone that is looking for a grill for the big 400 I have a spare.

Thanks
    Oh I forgot, thanks for the compliment bring on spring..