Antique Tractors Forum banner

Case 400 Restoration

14K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  400stanley 
#1 ·
Hello all, just registered to this forum. Hoping to gain from experience of others with regard to this restoration. We are fixing up my fathers Case 400 Standard. The serial # is 8068001 and the model is 410. We are located in southwestern Ontario up here in Canada. Got a few things on the go so far. Have the rear rims off for rebuild and paint. Dad always ran fluid as it was his loader tractor. There is some old calcium chloride in there to get rid of. Have to rebuild the brakes. Can anyone tell me the specs on the seals for the shafts that come out the brakes. Lots of old oil and dirt in there so I figure the seals are done. As well I put a kit in the carb (M/S TSX 616) but when I try and start it it just backfires. I had the distributor out so could have put it back in out 180. Would this cause the backfire and no start situation. Sheet metal is not too bad but I need new fenders and a grill. Any suggestions on where a fellow could source these.
Lots for the first post, looking forward to hearing lots of ideas
Have a good day

#3 ·
Yes being 180 out will cause that. Pull a spark plug and ground it against the block. Then put your finger over the plug hole. Have someone crank the tractor over. You should see the spark right about the time it blows your finger off the hole. If you see spark before you feel compression it's out of time. I hope that makes sense. For sheet metal I would try craigslist, lots of tractors and parts on there. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a tractor that has what you need then sell the rest of it for parts. Welcome to ATF!

#7 ·
Hello again, have run into another bit of a problem. I am replacing the brakes and seals on the shafts that come out to the brakes. Problem is I cannot get the bearing carrier plates to come off. It appears there are just 2 bolts holding it on. Tried running a longer bolt in to try and jack it away from the frame but no luck, Am I missing something. Can the seal be replaced without removing the plate?
Thanks

#10 ·
Success

Well, with a little more force, prybars etc I got them off and the seals are replaced. just waiting for some more brake parts to show up and will start putting back together. Got all the fluids out and hope to have the new filters this weekend. Got all the sheet metal off and found a grill at All States Parts. A little pricey to get to Ontario but no other options. Hope to get to the paint shop in the next few weeks. I will try and get some pictures on.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum. Soon you will need to post some pictures! This will assure us the project is real and not just made up:)
I do not own a Case, yet! The neighbor across the street has enough for both of us. He just got a 570 and a SC.
Looking forward to following your progress on the family tractor too.
Regards,
Chris

#11 ·
Hello again, well Murphy's Law in effect. Thought I had it made with a grill I got from All States Parts but it turns out it won't fit my 400 Standard. It is for the 400 Super or Big 400. So if anyone has a grill for a 400 standard or needs one for the big 400 let me know. I guess I could see if the guy making my fenders could modify it enough to fit but I think it has more curve to it so that would be a problem. Just another bump along the way.

#24 ·
A few more things fixed up. Got the water pump changed out, fortunately my paint guy gave me some of the orange that was left over so I could match it up before I put it on. Got rid of the old Case hydraulic couplers and replaced with new Pioneer couplers. Hope to try the tractor on my laneway grader which needs 2 remotes. I changed it over to 12volts with a flamethrower coil and now it starts on the first turn. 12 volts made it easier to replace the lighting as well. Steering had a little too much play so took the steering box off and replaced the bearings. Oil pan is leaking a little at the end so I got a gasket set and will be changing it out. Gasket comes in 4 pieces so should be interesting. Anxiously waiting for the nice weather so I can get it out for a good run.

#25 ·
Where did you find the grill? My Dad had a 401 rowcrop. He traded his Farmall M for it. Had a trip loader on it. Bought it used. About a month after he got it, it broke right in the middle, broke a couple of the ears off. The blacksmith welded the ears back and made plates to the side of the engine, never had another problem. He sold it at his farm sale in 1980. My brother has one now and is slowly fixing it up, he uses it for tractor pulling just for fun and some in his straw baling and market garden. A neighbor that I baled hay for had one just like yours. I used it a few times raking if he was working and I needed to turn some hay. Always liked the color combination. Yours looks really nice. Good work....James

#26 ·
The grill was a challenge, finally found one in the states and paid big bucks to get it shipped to Canada. Opened it up and it was not the same as mine, quite a bit longer on the sides. After further investigation found it was for the big 400 and mine is the 400 standard. Fortunately a guy I know close by had a 400 diesel he was going to scrap so I bought the whole thing off him for less than what I paid to get the first grill. His sheet metal was in pretty good shape so my body man was able to get it straightened out. I got a local sheet metal guy to make me new fenders using my old ones as a guide. He said it was one of the hardest things he had tackled. So if you know anyone that is looking for a grill for the big 400 I have a spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.