Got a Tobacco Planter Out Today...To Plant Taters!
    Thanks

Got a Tobacco Planter Out Today...To Plant Taters!

This is a hand tobacco plant transplanter. Although it can be used for other types of transplants, in tobacco country it will always be known as a "baccer planter". I found some more seed taters and used it to plant them in a prepared row. Miss Joanne dropped the taters in the small opening and a pull on the "trigger" opens the planter jaws, and the tater falls out. When planting transplants the planter is filled with water and each plant gets a sip of water when planted. The operator must kick dirt to the plant to make sure the roots contact the soil properly. Most all tobacco was planted with these planters in this area when I was young. Tractor drawn transplanters began to show up here in the late 1950s. Neighbors would help each other plant their crops. Each planter would also require a "dropper", a person to drop the plants into the planter. Adults mostly planted and dropped. Younguns would tote plants and water to them. A trailer loaded with water and plants was pulled through the field as the planters moved along the rows. On planting day the adults usually spent the mornings pulling plants from the plantbeds.
    Last edited by Jim in NC; 03-22-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

2. # ADS

Thanks
    LOL saw the first pic and thought "oh heck it broke off cleanly from the implement". Grin. Had no idea you were doing it the hard way.

Thanks
    When I was a kid, I got the honor of using a similar tool to replant the spots missed by the tractor mounted field corn planter. Seed corn went in on side, fertilizer in the other. When the corn started breaking the surface, I got to go along and fill the gaps. Probably be considered child abuse in this day and age.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper For This Useful Post:

Lovesthedrive (03-23-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Skipper I toted lots of plants and water before I had the honor of droppin' plants and operating a setter at tobacco planting time. One could say that as I grew I worked my way up!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    It's amazing how things have changed over the years.
    Rain makes grain

Bruce