1941 model a john deere fan blade stopped turning whille I was bush hoggin - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks

fan shaft and governor are installed

fan shaft and governor are installed, with battery, 12 volt for now to spin for oil pressure check which did show oil flowing over gears that mate to fan shaft.

Got fanshaft back in without removing radiator, it is tight but tweaking and turning, it can just fit, compressing the fan spring about 1/2 inch. Forgot the fan shroud, took it off and installed again.

get spark when turning over engine, correct cylinder is top, so timed it right, will see if it starts here soon.

compressing that fan spring is very tough to do using my horse stall door jamb, a gate holding one end, a tractor jack holding front end, while I use a crowbar and wedges to gently (with tremendous effort) compress fan spring to put the coned pin back in. But I managed finally after 10 tries or so to get it done.

I am not restoring, just trying to get it running, though I will not change original configuration to speak of. I will try to get the 6 volt system functioning for lights and charging and starting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HawkEye; 03-15-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkEye For This Useful Post:

Jim in NC (03-15-2017)

3. # ADS

Thanks
    Glad to hear you're getting it back together and that spinning the engine produced lubricant to the proper places.
    After 75 years a few new parts are expected. Those should be good for another 75 years now.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.

Thanks
    You're doing good there Hawkeye... Lots of nice photos to document the progress. Unfortunately rust is not limited to green tractors. Like I said before...paint covers a LOT of hidden rust both internally and externally. I tend to think its all just a crap shoot when we pick up cool old tractor at what we think is a bargain.

I'm expecially fond of the sellers description of "it ran when parked". When you go look, you could add to the ad: ".....outside....under rotten tarp....(rusted and hole filled) tin can on smoke pipe....no boot on shift lever....15 years ago.....".

I wouldn't have it any other way though.

6. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Good progress! I have revived a couple of.tractors with similar problems. I got them to run and put them to work to test their worthiness before going any further.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    I want to get the old tractor to work also to pay its feed.

I am hoping to get it fixed and to bush hog with this tractor this year.
    I would like to get a finish mower, nothing fancy, just to mow lower than a bush hog.
    There is always something to pull when you can pull.
    I can drag my jeep out of mud or drag logs.
    I do enjoy it working on it and with it.

I appreciate kindred spirits and the encouraging comments.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Thanks
    I just tried to find the vid. There was a you tube vid of an older JD that rescued a stuck big rig. It had gone viral. It was comical to hear the driver saying that he didnt think it would do much. Then the ole JD starts popping and snorting and out comes the truck with no problems. They are a fun tractor. Yet I needed something newer.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

Thanks

I started the 1941 john deere a

I started the 1941 john deere a for several minutes to look it over for problems.
    Oil pressure is almost center of gauge to the 'M'.

Had to tighten exhaust since it was spitting a little.

Water pipe is leaking past the rubber and claim going up to the top of the radiator. I will get a couple more clamps.

Gas was leaking past the settling bulb, took it loose and re-snugged the bulp and the on/off stem. The bulb bell was touching the plug wire clamp on the fan shaft, so I reversed the bolt to get some clearance.

Engine sounds pretty good, but might need to improve the timing. I will try a timing light to see what it shows.

I removed the steering column bushing and installed a new one as one step to removing play in the steering. In high gear the tractor wobbles so I will have to see what I can tighten in the front steering gears, shims and bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks
    HawkEye

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkEye For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (03-20-2017)

Thanks
    I have it timed as good as I can see the mark and hear it run for now.
    My timing light did not detect number number 1 cylinder firing.

My governor ventilator tube was completely stopped up. I cleaned it before reinstalling. I am not exactly sure what good it does as far as running goes.

Next I will adjust the carburetor for low idle to running speed.
    I want to know the rpm's. I am reading about that now.

Oil pressure goes to 'M' when running about at full speed, which is where the old gauge registered.

Temperature gauge kicked in to register to about 180 F or so in a few minutes of running, after I got all the leaks fixed.

I snugged up all the nuts and bolts after it ran awhile. Several were loose.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Thanks
    M on oil is fine, no need to adjust there. I wouldnt worry about timing unless it is hard to start or you have a lack of power. For lack of power, try high range and just above idle on a flat area to hill. IE this vid.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

Thanks
    Wi11y,
    I am anxious to run that test. Should not be too long.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkEye For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (03-22-2017)