Cummins 555 rear main seal replacment ?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Cummins 555 rear main seal replacment ?

Anyone ever done one? The 555 in my dump truck started leaking real bad this spring, to much to watch the oil level and just add as needed. I have removed everything necessary to get to the seal except for the flywheel housing and rear cover. I can see the seal clearly and it would be nice to hear someone tell me "just drill a couple of holes in the old seal and use a reversible hammer to pull it out, then just tap in the new one" is this feasible, or do I have to remove the housing and rear cover? The shop manual leaves a lot to be desired. I really was not looking forward to this job, but dove in anyway. I found a lot of things that really needed replacing, just about everything is worn out on this truck. I am working on a video showing what my son and I have been doing, hope to get it up soon.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Guess I have decided to just bite the bullet and remove the flywheel housing and the rear cover. I don't want to risk cracking the rear cover. Now I have to come up with a way to support a 2000 pound engine, as the flywheel housing also has the rear motor mounts on it. Unfortunately I don't have a gantry crane and I am not sure if the oil pan has to be loosened, or removed.

Thanks
    try googling how it was done? curious.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    try googling how it was done? curious.
    Been there, done that! LOL The only thing I can find is people arguing over if the 555 is a good or bad engine. I also posted the same question on a diesel forum and so far have gotten no replies there. I finally did find some information in a Cummins Shop Manual on the procedure, it was buried under a different topic, but as I suspected it says to remove the flywheel housing and the rear cover and use special Cummins tools to remove and install the seal, of course. So at this point I have gotten the flywheel housing off and later today will work on removing the rear cover. Pressing the new seal in should be a piece of cake, then I can start putting everything back together.

Thanks
    This on your dump truck? Sounds like a fun project.

Thanks
    Yes its on the dump truck. It is not a project I was looking forward to, but it gave me an opportunity to inspect a lot of components that I suspected were worn out. Everything was coated in a heavy layer of oil and sand, the pto was very hard to engage, I found that was because oil and sand were packed in between the arm and housing. So getting everything cleaned up and painted is a nice side benefit. I am planing to install new seals in the transmission as well. I got the rear cover off and the rear main seal out, I found the crank is grooved, so I will have to sleeve it. Also the flywheel is full of cracks, I suppose this could be a potentially dangerous situation and I am glad I caught it before pieces started coming loose. It looks like a pricey part to replace though. I guess new clutches are in order also. While I'm in there I might as well replace the trough out and pilot bearing. U joints in the main drive shaft are in good shape, surprisingly but they are easy to get to. The dump pump and corresponding drive shaft are totally worn out and the ram needs rebuilding. Thats where we are at at the moment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mike802 For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    A little update: I was able to order parts from Cummins and I am waiting for them to come in. The flywheel was going to cost almost 3 grand! No way am I going to sink 3 grand into this engine, think I would repower first. Anyway, anyone know where I might be able to source a decent used flywheel? If it helps the engine # is 20164228 flywheel # is 203066 and the number for a complete flywheel and ring gear assembly is AR-61144. This is for a manual transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You might try asking on thetruckersreport.com

It is a group that deals with truckers. They do have a active classified section. Otherwise craig's list?

Thanks
    Thanks Willy: I never heard of thetruckersreport.com will give them a try. I have also been keeping an eye on ebay and craigslist also without much luck. I was also thinking of calling diesel salvage yards to see if I could dig one up. worst case, I might have to put this thing back together with the flywheel I have. It was working just fine, but I was worried parts might start flying out from it some day. With all the bad things things I am hearing about the 555, I think it might be a good idea to start looking for a replacement engine. I'm thinking of going with a Cummins L10 or something similar if I can find a good running take out, or a rebuildable core for a reasonable amount.

Thanks
    You should be able to get a good detroit D12 for around 5 grand. Very common engine and parts will be cheaper than cummins or cat