MH 30 Transmission Fluid
    Thanks

MH 30 Transmission Fluid

I finally got my 1950 MH 30 moving but whenever it is in gear, there is a whining sound coming from the transmission area. I would assume that this whining is because the fluid is low? Is this correct? Also, where is the fill plug at? What weight oil should i use in it? What is the capacity? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Word of advice from an owner of many Massey Harris tractors. If it doesn't whine stay away from it. That was the trademark noise of a Massey. The transmission and rear end assembly on a Massey are almost bullet proof. The weak points on Masseys are the steering (kingpins and steering box in particular) and the brakes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to masseymechanic For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (04-17-2017)

Thanks
    I have a owners manual around here for a Massey model 30. I will try to scan it so you can see the drain plug and fill plug locations and the correct fluid. But keep in mind the correct fluid back when they were built was a straight weight oil of about 90 weight.
    Today a Multa grade oil works well.

The steering on the Massey's were and improvement when you ran a grease zerk to a point you could pump a litmus grease in there instead of the light oil used when they were new.

6. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    The drain plug on the 30 rear end is at the bottom rear of the housing just above the drawbar. Filler plug is on top of the transmission cover just forward and to the left of the shifter handle. Almost under the mount for the seat arm. Kind of a tight spot to get at. It should hold about 13 gallons of oil when full. 80/90 Gear oil is the modern equivalent of original oil. Working on a 30 of my own right now.
    Last edited by masseymechanic; 05-09-2017 at 11:43 AM.