Bear recipes

Thread: Bear recipes

Thanks

Cool Bear recipes

have read more comments about people saying bear meat is some of the worst wild game they have eaten. Most of them were well after my spring bear Hunt in 1982 in northern Ont. Canada.
    I guess it was because I took care of the bear just like I would a deer. clean field dressing practice and getting it in a cooler quickly. Since it was a May hunt Temptures could soar during the day. We elected to skin the bear at the camp we were at and pack it in coolers boned out.
    We found our bear meat very tasty and tender despite both being over 350 pounds.

Crock Pot Bear with gravy

Ingredients
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2-3 lb. bear roast
    2 32-oz. cartons of beef stock
    1 pack French onion soup mix
    1 pack egg noodles
    3 Tbsp. butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Fresh Italian parsley
    3 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup water
    Combine garlic salt and pepper and sprinkle on bear roast. Let meat rest for five minutes. Combine beef stock and French onion soup mix in slow cooker. Place roast in slow cooker and cook on low for four to six hours or on high for two to four hours.
    Prepare eggs noodle according to package. After straining the water off the noodles, add butter with salt, pepper and parsley to taste. Set aside.
    Remove meat from slow cooker and let it rest. Carefully pour stock from slow cooker into a large cooking pot. Turn burner on high and bring stock to a rolling boil.
    In a separate bowl, combine the water and cornstarch with a whisk. Slowly pour cornstarch into tock while constantly stirring. Once the stock begins to thicken remove it from the heat.
    Trim bear meat of all fat and shred the meat. Combine it with the gravy mixture. Place buttered noodles on plate and pour gravy and meat on top of the noodles. Add parsley on top.

Bear Loin Barbecue

Ingredients
    3 lb. bear tenderloin
    3/4 cup vinegar
    3/4 cup catsup
    1 cup water
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 Tbsp. Worcester sauce
    1/4 tsp. Tabasco
    3 Tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    Slice meat in half-inch pieces and cook 30 minutes in oven at 350 degrees.
    Meanwhile, mix the other ingredients together in a pan and cook 20 minutes over moderate heat.
    Pour off liquid from meat, cover with barbecue sauce and cook one hour.

Bear Steak and Rice

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. bear steak
    1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 large onions, cut into 1/2" slices, rings
    1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms
    drain & reserve liquid
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    3 cups hot cooked rice
    Directions:

Cut steak into thin strips.
    In a large skillet (oven-proof, if desired), brown meat in oil, using high heat. Add onions. Sauté until tender crisp.
    Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and garlic salt. Pour over steak. Add mushrooms.
    Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until steak is tender. (Or cover and bake at 350 degrees.) Serve over beds of fluffy rice.

Country Style Bear

Ingredients:

Bear meat
    Seasoned flour
    oil
    Dehydrated onion soup (optional)
    Fresh onion slices (optional)
    Directions:

Slice bear meat into serving size portions about 1/4" thick. Tenderize with a meat hammer. Dredge in seasoned flour.
    Brown quickly in a small amount of oil. Add enough water to cover meat. Cover pot tightly and simmer until tender over low heat.
    Thicken gravy to desired consistency with flour. Season to taste.
    *Dehydrated onion soup may be used to flavor, as may fresh onion slices.

BEAR STROGANOFF

1 lb. cubed bear meat
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 pkg. brown gravy mix
    1 pkg. French onion
    Rice

Cook bear meat until well done; drain excess fat in frying pan. Mix all ingredients with bear meat and bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over rice or noodles.

SAVORY BEAR

1 pt. tarragon vinegar
    2 peppercorns
    3 bay leaves
    1 stick cinnamon
    2 onions, quartered
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    1/2 tsp. basil
    1/2 tsp. rosemary
    1 c. minced celery
    2 lb. bear meat, cut in cubes
    1 c. minced shallots
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Flour
    1 pt. water
    1 stick butter
    2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 lg. can sliced mushrooms

Combine the vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaves, cinnamon, onions, thyme, basil, rosemary, and celery and pour over the bear meat in a bowl. Marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours. Drain bear meat; strain and reserve the marinade. Cook bear meat in a Dutch oven in small amount of fat until browned. Sprinkle with shallots, salt, pepper, and small amount of flour and add water, reserved marinade, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms. Simmer for 2 hours or until the bear meat is tender, adding water as needed.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Your recipe looks inviting...I wonder how it'd work with beef as a subsitute. Or possibly bison. We have bison meat available here and we butcher our own beef annually but no bear. Thank you sir for your recipe.

Thanks
    Yer makin' me hungry for breakfast. Those sound good. Though I may never have a chunk of bear meat to try them with, a good chunk of cow should work as well. Your barbecue sauce is almost the same as my baked bean sauce minus the garlic and Tabasco.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I have never had bear myself, but I remember my dad describing it. He said it had a similar taste as beef and was a little more greasy. These recipes would work with both meats.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    anyone that says bear meat is awfull must be just sayin it cuz there afraid to try it!!!!!! I always look forward to my uncles goin bear hunting so I can get some. i'll make a lot of jerky out of it for work snacks
    Bert.

Thanks

Wink

Many chicken, Beef and Pork recipes work for doing wild critters.

What many fail to do more so when they are new to the meat of a wild critter is remove the fat deposits and glands. that stuff should always be trimmed from the meat. You also cook a older critter different than a young one. Old is slow cooking rather than frying quick.