Put in a.Few Early Onions
    Thanks

Put in a.Few Early Onions

I loosened up the soil in our small garden spots here a few days ago. It was just too nice yesterday not to play in the dirt some. We planted a couple of pounds of Super Sweet onion sets in one of Miss Joanne's kitchen gardens. Unless we have a bitter cold spell they should be ok. We will plant more in March.
    Last edited by Jim in NC; 02-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Yer makin' my itch worse. We got almost that dry, until yesterday, back to mud and soggy.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.

Thanks
    we cant even see the ground yet because all the snow!!
    Bert.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Got a few things in the raised bed on the south side of the greenhouse. Started raining hard yesterday so I put the little hoop back on. My tomatoes are 3" tall in the tree pots, they are back in the greenhouse out of the pounding rain. Strawberries are blooming and setting berries in the greenhouse. I see the potatoes are coming through the ground and the peas are just about ready to set flowers, not very tall but the greenest I have ever seen, under hoops of course....James

Thanks
    We will probably start some mater seeds in about 10 days. I will grow my own heirlooms and will buy some hybrids. I can buy them from a greenhouse operator for less than I can grow them. I'm not gonna put much of anything else in the garden till next month. We can still have lots of winter here.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    Every year I promise myself to start tomato plants from seed and every year I've lied.... this year is no exception. There is ALWAYS a pressing project that sucks up the time it seems.

Thanks
    I just started to THINK about a garden and that's about it, solid 2 more months of winter here in Michigan. I'm jealous
    1946 Farmall A
    1947 Farmall M
    1942 Oliver 60
    1948 Massey Harris 20
    1945 Minneapolis Moline ZTS
    1947 Allis Chalmers WC
    1952 Allis Chalmers CA
    1947 Massey Harris 30
    1947 John Deere A
    1945 Ford 2N
    1951 Farmall H
    1941 Case VC
    1948 Farmall Cub
    1944 Avery model A
    1941 Case LA
    1943 MM ZTU
    1940 Massey Harris 101 junior

Thanks
    How did your onions do Jim?
    I fixed a fuel leak on the tractor, and put a used tire, and repacked both wheel bearings on the disc, yesterday. It didn't roll too well with a chunk of tread missing and tube poking through. Today I'm gonna disc the garden, and tomorrow plant some early onion sets and some of these taters that are growing eyes. Hopefully by the time we get enough moisture the ground will be warm enough to sprout them. To paraphrase a line in your original post " It's gonna be just too nice not to play in the dirt some."

Thanks
    Dave our early onions are up, but just standing in place. We have covered them several times when temps were going below 25. The worst thing is that we are so dry. We have been getting nothing to at most a quarter inch of rain when a front passes, the wind follows and dries it up in a few hours. It's very unusual that we are not getting any wet weather from the south. We planted taters and more onions close to 2 weeks ago, and I haven't checked them at all. I just hope they are not drying out.

Thanks
    As dry as it is, I only had to pull the disc over the garden a few times to get a good powdery seed bed. I ordered some seeds from Victory Seed on Monday morning and received them yesterday. Not bad, four days from order to delivery from Oregon. They deal some heirloom seeds that one can't find other places. So, I'll put out some spinach, lettuce, and radishes also today. We are supposed to get some substantial rainfall over the next few days. We'll see what happens.