1960 Massey Ferguson Model 85
    Thanks

Question 1960 Massey Ferguson Model 85

Have a small acreage, I wanted a tractor big enough to move a round bale from time to time,, to use the loader to haul few loads of dirt etc.

I purchased a 1960 MF Model 85 gas tractor / loader. Supposedly used for what I wanted to use it for, not hard and well cared for, kept in a shed etc.

I had tractor delivered and within first couple uses the power steering pump needed replaced. (not good $$$)

All was going pretty good, now I have lost hydraulic power. I did check the fluid it is at the low mark and has some water in it. My first thought is to change the hydraulic fluid and filter and hope for the best.

My question is where are the drain plugs and what and where is the filter? I purchased a operators manual - not much help. Obviously I am a newby but trying to figure things out for myself and get to know the tractor to maintain as much by myself as possible, thanks for any input

2. # ADS

Thanks
    I can't tell you where the plugs are but someone here will know. If you know water is present I would suggest adding some seafom into the system. It has worked good for me in removing moisture. If the tractor uses transmission oil and hydraulic oil from the same reservoir my guess is there is only one drain plug. If the lift and tranny have separate oil
    reservoirs there will be at least two drain plugs. Welcome to the site and go to the introduction page and tell us about yourself.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    Thank you, the tractor manual which is very vague - states to "drain through the transmission, hydraulic system and differential drain plug holes provided. and to clean all accumulation from the three magnetic drain plugs". no diagram showing where these plug holes are.

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    the drain plugs should be in the lowest parts of the housing(s), they will be pipe thread plugs probably with a square head or a square socket head. pipe thread is slightly tapered, so if you loosen the plugs slightly any water that has separated should seep out of the threads. oil is a bit thicker and will usually not seep out, so you can put a container under the plug(s) and let the water seep out. Also follow the manual's recommendation for refill oil, it doesn't need to be from the massey dealer, just the right type of oil.

Thanks
    Thank you. I found the drain plugs, and drained all of the fluid, was very milky. The screen on the power steering pump was totally covered in settlement/dirt/whatever, (this pump was replaced in September of 2016 and tractor was used maybe half a dozen times- all this settlement is a puzzle) once this was cleaned off and new fluid added, it runs and works great!

Thanks
    Milky oil is a sign that you have water getting into the tractor. Some where water is getting into the fluid. Or the last time before you they left the fill hole exposed to the elements

Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Wi11y; 04-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.