Antique Tractors Forum banner

1964 Case 430 rockshaft piston seals

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi every body!

I'm new to the forum and i'm currently fixing up my 1964 case 430. Wondering if anybody could help me to figure out how to install the smaller piston seal on the rockshaft? I'm not sure in which direction the seal's lip has to face . And also is there a trick on getting the ring on the shaft. The ring seems awfully tight.Thank you George

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never changed a seal on a 430 rockshaft piston, but as a rule of thumb the oil should push against the open or flared end of the seal.
A little dish soap with a few drops of water, or you're "slickem" of choice will help getting it in place.

#3 ·
I cannot speak to your particular situation but from having worked on old tractors I know that most replacement seals are much narrower or have a smaller thickness than the original seal. If the shaft has any obvious wear I usually replace the original seal with two seals. That has worked good for me. As Dave says making things slicker will help and reduce possible seal damage during the replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.