This here generator
    Vergas, MN....little teeny town in mid west MN
    Thanks

This here generator

Dear greatly experienced allis sen seis,

Please advise.....how can I check my generator on wd45 and see if its working, actually I am pretty sure it is not....since my battery runs out while using alice....ok i guess it obviously inst, but can it be checked to see if it is 'shot' or just not giving full charge

2nd - is it relatively simple to overhaul the generator? i am no mechanic, but i am fairly good at doing that kind of stuff if it doesn't require high tech knowledge or special tools. however i heard someone say something about possible having to rewind..that sounds a little intense. but if it is just taking it apart and installing a 'kit' consisting of new brushes or simple things, i could probably handle that....and enjoy doing that stuff

dont want to switch to 12v and alternator
    thanks much.....mike in MN

2. # ADS

Thanks
    CityBoy? Here is a suggestion. Follow this link and you can read to your hearts content on how to repair it with detailed pictures of what needs to be done.
    https://www.scribd.com/doc/244289500...Service-Manual

Otherwise you can buy the paper version from Amazon for about $20. Just put this wording in the search. The book will be from ITC.
    "allis chalmers wd45 repair manual"

The simple way to find out if a charging circuit is working? Start the tractor, run the tractor at mid throttle (1200+ rpm if your tach is working). Disconnect one battery terminal. Did the tractor stay running? If it did, the charging system is working. If the tractor immediately died, then yes there is a fault with the circuit. Yet the problem isnt simple like a alternator. A generator might be working with a bad regulator or visa versa. Yet alternators dont work on 6 volt. So dont plan to go the easy route just because I mentioned how alice would start easier on 12 volt.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wi11y For This Useful Post:

CityBoy (05-03-2017)

Thanks
    Actually; there are 6 volt positive and negative single wire alternators now. They are about 130.00.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skipper For This Useful Post:

CityBoy (05-03-2017),Wi11y (05-03-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with my little B. The generator died and I really did not want to go to 12 volts. But I did not want to pay the price for a rebuilt generator either, so I tried to rebuild it myself. Unfortunately the parts I ordered to rebuild were not right and I was not able to source the proper parts. Everybody on this forum told me how much better life would be with an alternator and 12 volts. I finally caved in and did the conversion and I am very glad I did! She starts like no tomorrow now and I will soon be adding some lighting that will be much brighter on 12 volt than the old 6 volt system.

Thanks
    There is a forum for Oliver tractors over on Facebook that I have been reading. They mentioned the LED lighting that Steiner Tractor offers will fit the factory holes for pre-existing holes. Just something to think about. Alas I myself cant make the alternator switch as my generator on the Oliver has a shaft that sticks out the back end of the generator to power a power steering pump.

Thanks
    My son recently added some lighting to his atv, he went through just about every led light tractor supply had and everyone had one or two leds that did not work. He ended up using a couple of halogen lights from Walmart. I just bought three additional lights for my Kubota and decided on ones with the rubber bodies and incandescent bulbs. After my sons experience I don't dare order led lights off line. The led lights are to expensive to end up with blown out leds right from the start, in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mike802 For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Yup still my preferrence for lighting. At $10 each and bright as well.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-10...Light/15111226