IHC 4700 vs 4900 cabs
    Thanks

IHC 4700 vs 4900 cabs

Does anyone know if a cab from a 4700 international will fit on a 4900 chassis? I recently purchased a 4900 as a donner for the DT466 engine to put in my Loadstar, but unfortunately the 4900 is in much better shape except the cab is rotted. I have the opportunity to pick up a 4700 cab in real good shape on the cheep. The cabs look identical, but would like to know if anyone has any first hand experience. Planning to look at the cab this coming Saturday.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Cab is the same, difference is in the options, air brakes or not, engine differences, transmissions....James

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwal10 For This Useful Post:

mike802 (05-12-2017),Wi11y (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    I agree, the 4900 just has heavier duty running gear, cabs are the same.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skipper For This Useful Post:

mike802 (05-12-2017),Wi11y (05-12-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I kinda had that same impression, the cab I am going to look at had juice breaks, and my truck has air, but between the two cabs I should be able to make that work. If the cab checks out to be as described it will be a real sweat deal compared to the prices I have been looking at. I can't wait to get this dump truck project behind me.

Thanks
    Yes you will have to take the things that are different out of the old cab. Can end up being quite a bit of work depending on options. A 4900 doesn't necessarily mean it was a heavier duty rating. Some 4700's were built heavier than a light spec'd 4900....James

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwal10 For This Useful Post:

mike802 (05-13-2017)

Thanks
    I went to look at the cab today and I had my pick of three. each one had it's weak and strong points, but all were in pretty good shape. I ended up picking one with very little rust and one cab corner is a little banged up, but defiantly usable. It would pass a state inspection as is, but while it is off the chassis I'm going to clean it up nice and give it a coat of paint.

Thanks
    In the past I nave used Great Stuff to fill holes (if not repairing the hole with weld). Granted you need to cover it with bondo. Police dont like great stuff for some reason,
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

Thanks
    In the past I nave used Great Stuff to fill holes (if not repairing the hole with weld). Granted you need to cover it with bondo. Police dont like great stuff for some reason
    Funny you should say that! In the cab I am replacing the previous owner filled the door bottom and rocker panel with expanding foam. The rot was a little to big for the expanding foam IMO. Fortunately the new cab does not have any rust holes, just a little surface rust. Should be a real easy project to make it look nice.

Thanks
    It's been a couple of days and I keep going out and looking the new cab over! LOL kinda like a kid with new toys! It still looks good even after a few days have gone by, no buyers remorse here. I can't wait to start striping it down and making the few repairs needed and prepping for paint, but at the moment I have a few other projects going on with the Kubota that I have to finish up first. The guy who helped us load the cab onto the trailer asked if we needed anything else, so of course I thought about the Loadstar still needing an engine and asked if he had any cummins 5.9's. It just so happened that he did, he just had an old 95 motorhome come in that he was dismantling, said the engine only had 35 thousand miles on it. He had not heard it run and wanted to listen to it before he gave me a price, but he was told it ran good. Waiting to hear from him and hoping I can get just as a good a deal on it as I did the cab.