Antique Tractors Forum banner

john deere 40 newbie question

16K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  James Howell 
#1 ·
just purchased a 1953 john deere 40 and I have ordered a service manual. Would anyone happen to have a link/pdf of the original owners manual so I can learn the proper procedures to check the fluids/lubricate the tractor as recommended by John
Deere?

thanks!

#3 ·
thanks for the link-----great parts breakdown link! I am hoping to find a simple chart/directions on how to do the normal maintenance chores----checking transmission fluid, hydraullic, etc. will work on uploading a pick, although not a lot to look at yet!

#4 ·
Welcome to ATF Ken. Glad you joined us. I am fortunate to have my Grandaddy's 40s. They are capable of doing lots of work.

#6 ·
Owner's Manual

"Would anyone happen to have a link/pdf of the original owners manual so I can learn the proper procedures to check the fluids/lubricate the tractor as recommended by John
Deere?
"

The Model 40 Series has seven different models:
40 Crawler - Designation (C)
40 Tricycle - Designation (T)
40 Standard - Designation (S)
40 Two-Row Utility - Designation (W)
40 Hi-Crop - Designation (H)
40 Special - Designation (V)
40 Utility - Designation (U)

Each model has its' own operator's manual.

If your Model 40 is either a Model T or Model S, then I have a lubrication checklist for each compiled from information presented in the owner's manual.

Welcome to the John Deere page and hope that you enjoy your Model 40.

#7 ·
it is the 40 standard. also have another question you might can help me with. the touch o matic lifts fine, but when i lower it, the arms just sit there. i can jump up and down on it with my 225 pounds on the drawbar and the arms will come down. i can not find anything binding, but wondering if there is any adjustment for this. i know the tractor sat for nearly 10 years before i got it. shortly before it was parked the hydraullics were supposedly rebuilt. it does raise and hold fine.

#8 ·
Touch-O-Matic

it is the 40 standard.

Take a look at the reprint of the OPERATOR'S MANUAL OM-14-653 JOHN DEERE MODEL 40 STANDARD TRACTOR.
Motor vehicle Text Vehicle Tractor Car

The LUBRICATION CHART is displayed on page 52.

The lubrication checklist below contains information from the lubrication chart.

Lubrication – 54 40S

Oil Filter TSC C138PL
JD AH 1082 R

Oil filter Stud Nut 1” Box
Crankcase drain plug 1 1/8” Open
Crankcase Flushing (diesel) 1 Gallon
Crankcase oil SAE 20 - Summer 5 Quarts
SAE 10 - Winter

Air cleaner oil SAE 30 Top Mark

Starter SAE 10 4~5 Drops

Transmission filler plug 5/8” Open

Transmission drain plug 5/8” Open
Transmission Flushing (diesel) 6 Quarts
Transmission oil SAE 90 6 ½ Quarts

Final Drives filler plug 9/16” Open

Final Drives drain plug 7/16” Open
Final Drives Flushing (diesel) 3 ½ Pints
Final Drives oil SAE 90 3 ½ Pints

Touch-O-Matic filler plug 9/16” Open

Touch-O-Matic oil drain plug 3/8” Open
Oil level test cock
Touch-O-Matic Flushing (diesel) 2 Quarts
Touch-O-Matic oil SAE 10 4 ½ Quarts

Steering Housing SAE 90 5/8” Open 1/2 Pint

Level Filler Hole

Radiator 3 ½ Gallons

the touch o matic lifts fine, but when i lower it, the arms just sit there.

The weight of the implement should lower the arms once the manual control arm is moved forward to the lowering position.

If the weight of the implement does not lower the arms, then the Touch-O-Matic may need attention.

Reviewed the SERVICE MANUAL SM-2013 JOHN DEERE 40 SERIES TRACTORS & CRAWLERS manual.
Text Font

The Touch-O-Matic has a check valve and control valve that “govern” the neutral, raising, and lowering position.

This is discussed in Section 180 HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS Group 5 SINGLE TOUCH-O-MATIC section under the TOUCH-O-MATIC OPERATION heading on pages 360-364.

The SET CHECK VALVE topic is discussed on 374 – 375.

Basically adding or removing shims to get desired results.

The OPERATOR'S MANUAL, under the TOUCH-O-MATIC topic on page 13, states:

CAUTION: Do not attempt to operate Touch-O-Matic until you have studied the instructions on page 26.

The TOUCH-O-MATIC (With Load-and-Depth Control and Three-Point Implement Attachment System) section is discussed on pages 26-32.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.