Tractors That Are to Climb on or Off
    Thanks

Tractors That Are to Climb on or Off

Just got to thinking about how hard it is to step up on some tractors. Some are much easier than others depending upon height, steps, both factory and farmer-made, and running boards. My hardest tractor to climb on is my Allis C. Despite my step there is really no good flat place to put the second foot. The rounded tranny housing and other places can be slippery. My second hardest is my JD 40S. I find myself trying to be extra careful when entering and exiting these.
    What are the ones yall think are hard to climb on or off?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

2. # ADS

Thanks
    When I was young we had a WD Allis for a little while, there always seamed to be a little oil on the drawbar from a pto or belt drive seal but not enough to warrant replacing the seal, you had to be careful when you stepped on that drawbar to climb up on the tractor.
    When the drawbar was off and the cultivators where on I had to climb the cultivator shanks to get on, after dad skinned his shin a few time slipping off that drawbar he traded it for a Fordson Dexta which was our first diesel tractor.
    62 Ford 881D
    69 Ford 4000
    72 Ford 4000SU
    69 Ford 4500
    67 Ford 5000

Thanks
    B/C allis chalmers for sure, F20s, especially with a mounted planter and well my 986 is pretty awkward to get into
    Ray~ The Texas Keykeeper.
    3 Farmall F20s
    4 Farmall Hs
    2 Case SCs
    3 Farmall Ms
    39 allis B
    1940 farmall A
    1940 farmall B
    1950 Massey Harris 44
    1951 farmall cub
    1954 MTA
    1957 350
    1959 JD 730D
    JD 2010RC Diesel
    BF Avery A, V
    530ck Backhoe
    1955 Chevy 4400
    1961 Ford F600
    1966 GMC 2500
    1966 Chev C10
    1978 GMC C35
    1983 Chev C30
    Implements, engines, ect

5. Remove Advertisements
    AntiqueTractorsForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Dad's old '39 John Deere Model B that he would never take the cultivators off. That's when I had both good legs.
    I wouldn't even try an offset IH model lessen it had a good wide helper step. I've got to have a good spot to stop with both feet on the way up or down.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.

Thanks
    The 40S with the cultivators are worse than without them. The lifting rods for the front cultivators are right next to the seat and the operator is almost enclosed in a cage. The later models had the rods run under the rear axle which made it some better.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    This Oliver is a real callenge to get onto.
    -First step with your left foot onto the step.
    -right leg has to go otherside of the fender and step onto the frame member for the loader to the rear axle.
    -left footcomes up onto the frame nearest the vertical
    -right foot then can be lifted over the transmission and into the foot plate area on the right side.
    -you can now move the left foot into the left side of the tractor and sit down.

It took me quite a while to figure out that dance. Once learned I no longer break into a sweat to get onto it.

To get off of the tractor is almost the same but.
    -Try and get vertical to a painful position with steering wheel.
    -move right foot onto frame outside of right foot well and transfer weight.
    -now do the sumo wrestler stomp and get left foot on frame rail outside of left foot well.
    -you can now rotate your bod to get the right foot onto the frame at the rear axle. Mind you they relocated the gear shift so when you put your foot back down, your pants leg might get caught on the gear shift. Then you do a weird little dance while not falling over of getting your pants leg off the gearshift.

Oh and 2 prior owners ago put the 18 inch steering wheel on (normally a 15 inch) making it so the operator can only be sitting down. Cant stand up unless you like your legs impaled with the rim of the steering wheel.
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

Thanks
    I must take a closer pic of the operator area with the loader frame that creates such a challenge.
    Tho if this dance was typical of Olivers with loaders? I can see why many farmers no longer gave Oliver a second look when buying a new tractor.

Yet I must admit, the gear shift pattern is very comfortable when running the loader. A nice relaxed position. Changing directions is a breeze. Then to go to high range. Only thing that would make life easier would have been a shuttle shift.
    Last edited by Wi11y; 06-20-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added a picture
    If it isnt broken, dont repair it.

Thanks
    The toughest one that i have right now is the IH TD6 loader. You have to climb up over the tracks across the frame work and step down into the cockpit like getting in a jet fighter (I think). Room is limited in the cockpit. and getting out is just as much of a challenge.
    On conventional tractors: the D17 dance is a challenge. I did add a step, as the normal platform height is 26 inches from the ground! I have learned to move the seat rearward to enter and exit the 17, that makes it easier.
    The Jubilee is probably the easiest to get on an off. Ford got that about right!
    The WD's are not to hard to get on, but leg room and positioning can be a issue.
    Regards,
    Chris
    1958 Allis D17 NFE
    1950 Allis WD WFE
    1950 Allis WD NFE
    1951 Allis WD NFE
    1953 Ford Jubilee
    Cub Cadets 147R, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, and 73
    John Deere 110
    David Bradley walk behind
    Massey Ferguson lawn mower M8
    IH TD-6 Dozer/Loader (for when I run out of other things to do)
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    I'll vote for the allis c also. somebody dropped the ball in the engineering department for shure on those. we built a "normal" set for ours so you could climb on from the back witch made it a lot easyer
    Bert.

Thanks
    I added a step on the left side of the C to help but getting further up into the sitting position is still hard for me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim in NC For This Useful Post:

Wi11y (06-26-2017)