Antique Tractors Forum banner

Ledmon Watermelons

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
The solid green melons in the pics are Ledmons.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2502

Some Ledmon talk from the web.

Renowned watermelon developed in South Carolina by J.E. Lednum in the early 20th Century. Mr. Lednum obtained this variety by crossing Stone Mountain with Kleckley’s Sweet. Ledmun’s name was misspelled by a county Board of Agriculture employee in a 1938 pamphlet, and the name has stuck. Slightly oblong fruits have a thin rind which makes shipping this fabulous melon nearly impossible, and so has been grown exclusively as a “family melon” for generations. The pink-to-red fleshed melons sometimes reach 40 lbs., and are claimed by some to be “the sweetest melon grown.” A treasure!

As a native of South Carolina myself, and having never had room for a real "row" garden before, LEDMON was a natural choice as my first and only watermelon in my 1+ acre fantasy garden. I started LEDMON from seed but only set out three plants, not wanting to over-do for space. I was truly not expecting real sucess, viewing this year as a trial. Two plants were destroyed by a summer hail storm when they were about two feet long. The REMAINING SOLITARY VINE crept and thrived in the blistering South Carolina sun, requiring NO ADDITIONAL WATER until mid August when the melons began to swell. Even then, the FOLIAGE NEVER CURLED, I just panicked, and put the water to the vine. The bumper harvest began on July 20th and ended today, September 9th, with seven small melons still on the vine and only to make space for my encroaching Blue Hubbards! One may joke about giving away zuchini, but I became known as "that watermelon lady", until I had folks calling to be on the list for the next ripe melon! SOIL: Virgin, will tilled but UNAMENDED, organic, South Carolina clay based loam. NEVER FERTILIZED THE VINE IN *ANY* WAY. ONE VINE, 23 MELONS AVERAGING 38 lbs EACH. (Weighing each and every one became an obsession!) NO BUGS. EVER. Though I searched every day for any evidence of beetles, I found none. BEST WATERMELON TASTE EVER. Sweet and never grainy from small to large finish size. I saved the seeds, since I am on dozens of remote acres and didn't grow anything related to melons whatsoever. I WILL TUNNEL NEXT YEAR if only to keep my chickens from pecking the flesh and so I can grow some cukes and an Orange Glo. I am so proud to have so sucessfully grown the native LEDMON watermelon in my Carolina garden! .

"Papa Lednum" moved to Pleasant Garden, NC, just outside of Greensboro, NC. He was "famous" for his watermelons even then. I was raised in NC and have subsequently moved to SC and am anxious to plant my Great Grandfather's watermelons. I also have his recipe for Watermelon Rind pickles. I think it is going to be a busy summer!.

Low maintenance vine, with many melons on it. These were the best watermelons I've tasted because the juice is so sweet even to the edge of the rind.

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the info is there any place i can order the seeds from for ledmon that will ship to canada i grow sugar babies and a couple other varieties but would like to have some 30 lbers to display and sell at the markets the biggist i have growen is 20 some lbs we had a 18 lb butternut squash this past year and was a atention getter we grow watermelons on raised beds on black plastic with drip lines thanks ivan :) :) :)

#5 ·
The solid green melons in the pics are Ledmons.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2502

Some Ledmon talk from the web.

Renowned watermelon developed in South Carolina by J.E. Lednum in the early 20th Century. Mr. Lednum obtained this variety by crossing Stone Mountain with Kleckley’s Sweet. Ledmun’s name was misspelled by a county Board of Agriculture employee in a 1938 pamphlet, and the name has stuck. Slightly oblong fruits have a thin rind which makes shipping this fabulous melon nearly impossible, and so has been grown exclusively as a “family melon” for generations. The pink-to-red fleshed melons sometimes reach 40 lbs., and are claimed by some to be “the sweetest melon grown.” A treasure!

As a native of South Carolina myself, and having never had room for a real "row" garden before, LEDMON was a natural choice as my first and only watermelon in my 1+ acre fantasy garden. I started LEDMON from seed but only set out three plants, not wanting to over-do for space. I was truly not expecting real sucess, viewing this year as a trial. Two plants were destroyed by a summer hail storm when they were about two feet long. The REMAINING SOLITARY VINE crept and thrived in the blistering South Carolina sun, requiring NO ADDITIONAL WATER until mid August when the melons began to swell. Even then, the FOLIAGE NEVER CURLED, I just panicked, and put the water to the vine. The bumper harvest began on July 20th and ended today, September 9th, with seven small melons still on the vine and only to make space for my encroaching Blue Hubbards! One may joke about giving away zuchini, but I became known as "that watermelon lady", until I had folks calling to be on the list for the next ripe melon! SOIL: Virgin, will tilled but UNAMENDED, organic, South Carolina clay based loam. NEVER FERTILIZED THE VINE IN ANY WAY. ONE VINE, 23 MELONS AVERAGING 38 lbs EACH. (Weighing each and every one became an obsession!) NO BUGS. EVER. Though I searched every day for any evidence of beetles, I found none. BEST WATERMELON TASTE EVER. Sweet and never grainy from small to large finish size. I saved the seeds, since I am on dozens of remote acres and didn't grow anything related to melons whatsoever. I WILL TUNNEL NEXT YEAR if only to keep my chickens from pecking the flesh and so I can grow some cukes and an Orange Glo. I am so proud to have so sucessfully grown the native LEDMON watermelon in my Carolina garden! .

"Papa Lednum" moved to Pleasant Garden, NC, just outside of Greensboro, NC. He was "famous" for his watermelons even then. I was raised in NC and have subsequently moved to SC and am anxious to plant my Great Grandfather's watermelons. I also have his recipe for Watermelon Rind pickles. I think it is going to be a busy summer!.

Low maintenance vine, with many melons on it. These were the best watermelons I've tasted because the juice is so sweet even to the edge of the rind.
my father grew Ledmun's when I was a child, I always wondered where he got the first seeds. now I know, we had a farm in Julian area, not far from Pleasant Garden, NC. do u have seeds to sell, every time I eat watermelon I tell everyone, nothing tastes like a Ledmun, and no one knows what I;m talking about, email jeanhmaynard@yahoo.com or cell phone, text 828-413-3131. Thanks

#6 ·
Welcome to ATF and thanks for bringing up.a sweet topic. I sent you a text. I continue to try to produce a few Ledmons each year, but I they have not produced well. I believe one needs new ground each year to be successful. I continue to rotate them about the farm, but continue to have problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.