Thanks

Farmall H starter drive

This evening I pulled the starter off the H. To back up, after I got it home I put the battery off my 8N on it and it would spin but not engage. Also it was making a little grinding noise. So tonight I pulled it off and put it on the bench. The drive was free. I hooked it up to the battery charger and gave it a spin and the drive wasn't kicking out. It was just flopping around in the nose. I also noticed this little bit of mangled spring hiding among the grease in the nose.

I pulled the starter apart and when I pulled the nose cone off this is what I found.

I think it's odd that this broke just sitting there. Who knows, maybe the stress of a hard life coupled with the prolonged cold temperatures this winter caused it to fail? Whatever the case may be, I need to picK up a starter drive for it. In the mean time I'll change the oil and check the rear end to make sure there's no water in it. I'm remaining optimistic on this one - it will run again.
    Ernie N Ky

Ford 8N
    Case VAC
    Farmall H
    Sears Custom 7

Thanks
    Ernie, I feel your pain, but it is not quite as bad as a tractor becoming stuck that I shut off after mowing and a few hours later going to get again to do more.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    I thought we were supposed to enjoy these old things
    Ernie N Ky

Ford 8N
    Case VAC
    Farmall H
    Sears Custom 7