Thanks

My Dads Pickled Green Maters!!

After years of frustration of missing my Dads pickled green tomatoes, I finally hit the right recipe!

Use a 50/50 mix of water & vinegar for the size jars you are using
    1 tablespoon of salt for pints, 2 for quarts
    Heat water, vinegar and salt until salt disolves
    1/8 teaspoon per pint, 2 per quart of alum, or pickle crisp (I use the pickle crisp)

Cut green tomatoes to the size of your liking. I usually quarter small ones. (You can remove the seeds, if any, if you like, but I leave them)
    one long or 2 short banana peppers, or cheyenne peppers. If you cheyenne peppers, leave whole.
    Slice into rings and add to the jars as you put in the tomotoes.

Fill jars with mix, then process as usual.

Took me all summer, and several failures to get this the way Dad made it! I also made a couple of jars from Ms Bettys recipe, just havent opened them up yet, still have a couple of more weeks before they are ready! I have another recipe that uses Kosher salt instad, but I dont think those were as good, but my wife likes them better that way.
    1939 F14, 1940 M (Sold), 2 1941 Ms - Consecutive Numbers, 1945 I-4, 1949 Cub, 1972 154 LoBoy

bikerdave wrote: Defication occurrs! RIP My friend!!

Thanks
    John that sounds really good. Do you or anyone have a good chow chow recipe using green maters, green peppers, onions, and cabbage??? We have one here in one of Miss Joanne's cookbook, but the home tested ones are usually the best.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    I dont have one, but my sister in law does, well she has it memorized as her grandmother use to make it by the gallon!! She made her last batch 2 years ago before she died, and my sister in law has the last quart. We were going to make some this year, but ran out of green maters making mine, and they didnt recover fast enough to make any.
    1939 F14, 1940 M (Sold), 2 1941 Ms - Consecutive Numbers, 1945 I-4, 1949 Cub, 1972 154 LoBoy

bikerdave wrote: Defication occurrs! RIP My friend!!