Antique Tractors Forum banner

Reinstall of valves in small engines-or-Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  John M 
#1 ·
Have to share a new (to me anyway) way of reinstalling valves that have the 2 piece locks in older cast iron motors.
After the usual 50 or so tries with screwdrivers, open end wrenches, store bought and homemade spring compressors, my wife today says-"why don't you use the vise to squeeze them shut and then zip tie them?"
Took one spring out, put it in the vise and completely compressed it with just enough spring over the top to run a 1/4" zip tie through- turned the spring over and repeated the process on the other side.
Slid the valve back into the motor, through the spring, and had all kinds of room to put the valve rotor on the bottom and locks went right in.
Snipped the zip ties, pulled hard and got them both out, and-ready to rock and roll again!
Should work with any block where you've only got a side port or very little room to maneuver in.
She's looked at me all evening with a little smirk on her face, but what the hay-guess she earned the right.

pkmann

#2 ·
Great idea! Those ties rank right up there with wire, baling twine, and ductape!:good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.