Antique Tractors Forum banner

My "new" Farmall Cub

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  zippy1 
#1 ·
I bought this 1956 (according to the PO) Cub on Monday. Can't tell you much about it other than it runs and mows. I'll be picking it up this weekend.
The bad, Rear tires are dry rotted, battery box is long gone, smokes a little at all times and had a PO made grill. Oil pan gasket leak.
The good..... new front tires, new rear rim, wheel weights, and it runs:drinks: I know very little about these tractors, yet. Does anyone know who the mower manufacturer would be? There was a tag on it, but I never thought to look it over very well on Monday.
Does anyone who is in the know see anything that should or shouldn't be that I'm missing? I ordered the service, parts and owners manuals yesterday.
One more tractor I can check off the bucket list;)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you got a nice cub. The mower looks like a IH to me. The hood and tank look like there right for a 56 but I think the grill is off a early 50's model. The serial # will tell you for sure, Bill W on this site is a cub guru and I would say could tell you anything you would want to know. Glad you got it.

#3 ·
Mower kinda looks IH, with some parts added and some missing, but I havent been around the IH mowers much, except the 42" and the newer IH Danco mowers. Most of the parts you mention can easily be bought aftermarket, but I wouldnt worry about it unless your restoring for show, well maybe the battery box! Those rears, I wouldnt worry about either unless you can flake off pieces of rubber. They still look good to me.

#4 ·
Nice little Cub. Those tires will work for years to come if you're just gonna mow with it. Like John says until they start shedding chunks.
If you plan to use it I wouldn't do much to it. If you plan to restore it, it doesn't look like it will take much compared to some I've seen.

#5 ·
Looks like a good one to me. I never saw a mower like that, but will have to do a little research on it. I wouldn't worry about those rear tires just yet, they should last quite a while. The grill is definitely home made and modeled after the 50's style. All in all it looks great. Welcome to the world of Cubs.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.
No, I'm not concerned about the tires either, as long as their round and hold air is all I care about.
Pictures are deceiving, it's not as good as it looks, but good enough for what I wanted it for. There will be no restore here.
I'll get more information on the mower after I get it home Saturday. Then change fluids and whatever else I see it needs.

#7 ·
Todd,
Was hoping to find you and your new Farmall CUB here too! I agree that the details sometimes don't show in the pictures. Overall it still looks pretty good. Great talking with you today!
I know you said your not going to restore this one, but I said that too with this Allis I am working on. :) I have seen your work on Cub Cadets and this one will be waiting for some of your TLC.
Hope your trip to get it is good.
Make sure to ask if there is anything else that goes with it? Sometimes folks have some other parts setting around.
Regards,
Chris

Reactions: zippy1
#8 ·
Well it's home. Had a nice visit with the PO and his wife, great people.
No troubles getting it home which is always good. Got home and the wife Nancy had to take it for a smoke test, I think she's going to like it.
Onto the pictures. The last tag is what's on the mower mount, hope you can make it out. I'll see what it looks like and if it's not legible I'll snap another tomorrow.

Attachments

#9 ·
Todd,
Great shots of Nancy, the tractor, and the dogs. You on the other hand are looking a little scruffy:)
Your going to like this Cub.
And by the smiles on Nancys face she already does!
Whats the first things your going to do? I know you can't leave a new toy alone!
Hey Colt is really grown! Nice looking dog. How did you get him to set there that long?
Regards,
Chris

#12 ·
Hey, thanks Chris.
As for what I'm going to do with it first. Complete fluid and filter change. Then tuck it away for the winter.
Remember I have the IH Original scattered all over the shop. One project at a time for me.
Oh yeah, she likes it. She said it feels tippy, I told her it was a optical illusion;) it'll be nice for cutting behind the house and barn, big area without trees. As well as the food plots.
Colt is doing well, being a little over four months old, he's learning every day. I give him the stay command and he'll stay till I give him the free command. Growing so fast.
As for my "scruffy" look, just preparing myself for winter, after last year, I'm covering all the bare skin I can.
The tires that are on it are good enough, weather checked but hold air and have good lugs, but thanks for the heads up.

#10 ·
Todd,
Just remembered. A friend of mine has a set of tires and rims for sale that would go right on your tractor. He doesn't like them they are a little big. But I believe they are in very good shape. He wants $375 for the pair, I think. He is going to get the smaller correct size for his Farmall Cub. Let me know. The down side is they just happen to be about 35 miles from me. I was thinking about getting them for another Allis project but the funds are dwindling :)
Regards,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.