Thread: Ethanol

Thanks

Ethanol

If my thinking is correct, it seems ethanol subsidies were enacted to encourage its production to increase the supply of gasoline and make it more affordable.

Under current conditions of rapidly falling fuel prices, it seems that if ethanol production subsidies continue, gasoline will be made more expensive.

I also believed that ethonal subsidies were a form of political favoritism as well. I'd like to know from yall that are in corn country if there has been any talk of changing policies regarding ethanol production and blending with fuels since oil prices have dropped.

Knowing that the production of ethanol requires more energy than it creates, it damages engines, and the craziness of burning food, now seems to be a good time to re-address the need to produce ethanol for fuel.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    I think those subsidies went away a couple of years ago, and according to some, the ethanol plants are still in full production. I for one have NEVER, ever had any problems running ethanol, either E10 or E85, and have never seen any of the "problems" people say they have. I have used the E10 in everything, and the E85 in all but one of my tractors, and have yet to have a single problem, even if it sits over the winter. I have had more problems storing nonethanol then E85. I suppose region has a lot to do with it though. (Rant ver!)
    1939 F14, 1940 M (Sold), 2 1941 Ms - Consecutive Numbers, 1945 I-4, 1949 Cub, 1972 154 LoBoy

bikerdave wrote: Defication occurrs! RIP My friend!!

Thanks
    We once had a Tahoe and it burnt E85 just fine, so we'll in fact that it got far less mpg. We switched back to gasoline because the cost was the same in the end and the only place with e85 was 20 miles away.
    Ernie N Ky

Ford 8N
    Case VAC
    Farmall H
    Sears Custom 7

Thanks
    Several gas stations around here have quit the E85 completely
    Steve
    1956 Massey Harris 333
    1948 Allis Chalmers C w/ wide front end

Thanks
    I think ethanol blends were mandated by the EPA or some such agency, then subsidies were give, also called pork, to make it affordable to be produced. The subsidies may have expired, but my point is that with lower fuel prices, it seems economical suicide to continue this way especially when a gallon of pure gas produces more energy than a gasohol.

To me a way to achieve less pollution is to burn less fuel, and my vehicles got better mileage on straight gas. Of course who'd think the proper and sensible thing would be done. It seems to me that now is the time to pursue a better path.

John, like you I believe I have had minimal problems with ethanol blends. I have one carb on an ATV giving me fits now, but I think it was caused more by sitting idle than the fuel. I'm not advisig anyone to do this, but some of my stuff runs only once or twice a year. My leaf blower for one was started last week on the third pull, and it had been a year since used.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau

Thanks
    I haven't noticed anything unusual with ethanol fuels. I do think it helps keep the moisture out of the lines.
    Rain makes grain

Bruce