Antique Tractors Forum banner

Alomst Skunked!

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
I stopped to open a pasture gate to feed the cows this evening and almost stepped on a skunk. I was looking ahead as I drove to the gate and did not see the varmint. It paid no attention to me and began digging in the yard. I scurried into the house and got an appropriate tool for the job of speeding up its demise. If I had used the one I was carrying, I'd been picking up pieces of it.

With rabies being an ongoing problem here among wild critters, seeing a skunk out and about about 2 hours before dark is a sure sign of something not quite right. Anyway, with all our mud from the snow it was easy to dig a hole and properly dispose of it.

Another odd thing is that there was no skunk smell at all. It never released anything, while we were dancing or afterwards. I thought that was unusual too, but I'll take it.

#3 ·
Jim, I agree with you about it being sick. With you being that close and it not noticing you. A healthy one would have nailed you. Mrs Jim won't have any trouble finding you, altho she might not want to:painkiller:

#4 ·
The wierdest thing about this one is that it had no skunk smell at all. I've never been around one like that in the wild. I have caught them in live-catch traps in the sweet corn patches, and they can be really agitated quickly when one gets near them. Maybe it was so sick that it forgot where the "switch" was!

#6 ·
I thought about that. I told a couple of folks about it yesterday and they said that they had encountered the critters with no smell. Still a puzzler!

#8 · (Edited)
Political correctness has made a lot humans "sick" , unattentive, and apathetic, so it is no surprise that it is being used on wildlife. I don't think the skunk rose to its intended level Wendell cuz it did not mess with me.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.