Antique Tractors Forum banner

1969 2520 John Deere good for pulling?

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jwal10 
#1 ·
Looking at buying my Grampas old 1969 2520 diesel syncro shift to restore for shows, tractor pulling. A John Deere mechanic said the 2520 isn't good for tractor pulling for they have week rear ends and you can't get rear end parts for them anymore. Never been a problem with the rear end or trany before plowing ect. Runs good, 10k hours, been overhauled twice but still has original main bearings which my uncle said you have to pull the engine to replace. Injector pump leaks fuel and i was told it's expensive to rebuild also. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·
Looking at buying my Grampas old 1969 2520 diesel syncro shift to restore for shows, tractor pulling. Injector pump leaks fuel and i was told it's expensive to rebuild also. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'd suggest googling a diesel injection service company close to you and have them give you an approximate cost on a total rebuild. Then add a couple hundred to it.

Of course a leaking injector pump CAN turn out to be a cracked fitting external of the pump....if you're lucky. But with 10,000 hours on it, a rebuild may be in order anyway, especially if you are thinking of pulling.

Got no input on the rear end.

#6 ·
When comparing tractor pulling to plowing, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Whole different ballgame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.