Thanks

ford 9n engine block

Ive been looking for an inexpensive tractor to do some work at my place and came across a 9n with loader for $700 but it has a cracked block. Said it ran good when parked, so i assume it froze and cracked the block. Would like anyone's opinion on if the bkocks can be welded, or how difficult it would Be And how expensive a replacement would be. Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS

Thanks
    It would depend on where the block was cracked. If externally you might be able to fix it with JB Weld. Just groove out the crack and drill a hole at each end to keep it from cracking further. I have one i repaired a few years ago like this and it's still working. replace blocks are easy to find and might be cheaper than having it professionally welded. I have had and seen some nasty looking welding jobs on some old tractors that are still running today.

Kirk

Thanks

block

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk-NJ View Post
    It would depend on where the block was cracked. If externally you might be able to fix it with JB Weld. Just groove out the crack and drill a hole at each end to keep it from cracking further. I have one i repaired a few years ago like this and it's still working. replace blocks are easy to find and might be cheaper than having it professionally welded. I have had and seen some nasty looking welding jobs on some old tractors that are still running today.

Kirk

Thanks
    I use industrial JB Weld. I would try to fix it with that. If it's not weeping under pressure when hot I would probably let it go and see what happens. Keep checking it and water level.
    I have blocks and running engines if you're close to the NJ area. Pulling an 8n side mount today.

Kirk

Thanks
    Thick paint might fix that one.
    1950 McCormick Deering W4, 1950 Cockshutt 30 Rowcrop, 1950 Cockshutt 30, 1940s Ford 9N, 1940s Massey Pony, 1940s Massey 81 S, 1940s Farmall A, 2 1960s International B250s, all in their working clothes.

Thanks
    I would use Kirk's advice on fixing that one. I would keep an eye on the oil also to make sure it's not getting water in it.
    No matter where you go.......There you are.