Thanks

JD 1010 U need knowledge.....

Hello,
    I'm trying to help a relative who bought a John Deere 1010 U, I am way out of my knowledge zone on this so..... hopefully someone can give me some advice.
    Supposedly it had a squealing noise around the starter but only every now and then. I heard it run long enough to load on my trailer and no squealing, and no smoke or noise. Oil pressure line was bad so that was first up to be fixed, got it fired up and had to keep choked about 3/4 to stay running, never would actually idle do to incorrect throttle cable adjustment, run at maybe 1000-1200 rpms.

Fixed the oil line with all new parts.
    heard a noise in top of engine, jingle type noise but not constant, adjusted carb and it would run without the choke then.
    Removed steering shaft and gas tank to remove valve cover, adjusted valves, cleaned valve cover which was full of clear water droplets.
    Steering couplings was a mess so I did a little machining on my lathe to make a sleeve with a pinch bolt to hold the 2 halves of the front coupling together between gas tank and steering unit.... He had plastic zip ties around it.
    Got it together and started the engine and let it run for about 2 minutes, still hear noise like thin metal jingling every now and then, removed fan belt to eliminate alternator and waterpump, same noise when it started.
    Checked oil although I was told it was ok when I went to get the tractor, oil was creamy looking showing evidence of water.
    Drained all the oil and filled back up with new Pennzoil 10w-40 to see what would happen, knowing it would need changed again.
    First start oil pressure about 40 lbs or more, longer it ran and warmed up lower the oil pressure got until it was around 10-15 lbs.
    Adjusted throttle cable so it would idle correct and it sounds fine, raise RPM's to around 1500 and hear wristpin knock or piston skirt smacking the cylinder wall? Not good.
    Noticed the distributor shaft and or bushings are totally worn out, slop in shaft will change the points gap tremendously.
    3 Point lift lever is all messed up too from some terrible seat alterations, like to see how a lever mount is suppose to look.
    3 Point not working so need to figure out that too, oil levels, oil used, need to prime system maybe?

Can anyone give me pointers as to pros and cons or do's and don'ts with these tractors?? Try to add some pics.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS

Thanks
    Drop in oil pressure was over about 15 minutes time as it warmed up. Noticed it started smoking after adjusting the valves and changing oil too.
    Valve adjustment I found was 0.012 / 0.016
    Any thoughts / experience appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I found for some reason penzoil will smoke out the pipe quiker then other oils, idk why but ive had it happen on a couple trucks. put in penzoil and within 3-4 miles a nice cloud followed me back, dropped the oil and put in some higher priced stuff and took off. 3-4 miles down the road smoke cleared up. like I said idk why but that's my experience with penzoil
    Bert.

Thanks
    The milky oil could have come from condensation from sitting or worse from a mechanical problem. I have no experience with Pennzoil as Bert, but I'd suggest a single weight oil, 30 or 40, to see if the pressure drops. The multigrade oil will help clean the crud out of it if it is from condensation. It is not uncommon for the pressure to drop as you indicate as the engine warms if it is worn internally. The oil pump may need rebuilding. To me right now there are just too many variables that can cause the pressure drop.

I have one tractor, an early Farmall 140, that has good pressure when cold, and it drops as yours and maybe a little lower when it warms. It has no strange noises related to low oil pressure. I bought it in 1978 and farmed tobacco with it up until 2005. I still use it although not as much and it is the same now as when I got it. Your results however may be different. These are just some of my thoughts based upon what I have experienced.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau