Thanks

1949 JD B won't start

This tractor haso been an extremely reliable tractor for years. It always started! The battery was dead for a long time, but it hand started so easily I didn't replace it. One time it wouldnt start, so myou Dad and I pulled it to start jt. Literally pulled it 5 feet and started. Got a new battery, and it WILL NOT START on it's own. Again, starts very quicker when pulled, but not by itself. Replaced spark plug wires and spark plugs, still won't start except for now it does kick a few times. Points are good. I'm so frustrated! Any suggestions?

2. # ADS

Thanks
    We need some more info.
    Does this tractor have a mag?
    You say it wont start now, is that it wont start by the starter? Or is it wont start even if you bump start it?
    Bump starting is either to roll it down a hill or to pull it with another motor vehicle.
    Tell us what exactly you are doing when you start it otherwise.
    -willy-

Every thing in life has a cost, even free has a price.
    I don't care if you're white, black, red, periwinkle, burnt umber, or chartreuse -- resisting arrest is not a right, it's a crime. And it's never a good idea. ~Mike Rowe
    Owned:
    1956 John Deere 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Thanks
    Yes, this tractor has a magneto. It will not start via the starter or by turning the engine by hand. It does start easily when pulled by another tractor. I took one plug wire off and put another spark plug (the same one in the tractor, Autolite 3116) and touched it to the frame and turned it over to see if it had spark, and it appeared to have a decent spark. I forgot to also mention, once I got the engine running after pulling with another tractor, it ran well
    Last edited by jdmatt; Today at 12:25 AM. Reason: Missing an important detail

Thanks

1949 JD B won't start

Since your 49B probably has a Wico X magneto, you might consider checking the timing on the No. 1 ( flywheel side) cylinder.

To prevent the tractor from accidentally starting:
    Remove the spark plug cable from the No. 2 spark plug.
    Make sure the gas is turned off.
    Tractor should be in neutral and the hand clutch should be disengaged.
    Lock both brakes.

This is one method of checking the timing for this No. 1 cylinder.

Remove the spark plug on the flywheel side.
    IMG_4013.JPG

Place your finger over the hole and rotate the flywheel counter-clockwise until you feel pressure (compression) of air in the cylinder, then stop.

Remove the crank opening cover from the flywheel cover.

Continue rotating the flywheel counter-clockwise until the punch mark, stamped on the flywheel hub, lines up with the V groove on the flywheel cover.
    IMG_4014.JPG

Loosen the two cap screws securing the magneto.

Tap the top of the magneto toward the rear of the tractor a little at a time until the impulse trips.
    IMG_4018.JPG

Tighten the cap screws and continue rotating the flywheel counter-clockwise until you see a spark at full pressure (compression) for No. 1 cylinder.
    IMG_4020.JPG

Hope this helps.
    A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people. Will Rogers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James Howell For This Useful Post:

Lovesthedrive (Today)