Antique Tractors Forum banner

Hoping to get a 641

10K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Sugarmaker 
#1 ·
I am looking forward to aquiring a '58 641.
I am somewhat curious if any of you out there have one you could share some details about. I would like to see a over head of the dash. There are quite a few holes in this one and I am wondering what is missing. Tractor Data isnt too much help. I do know it has a 4 speed. Does anyone know what ground speeds are achieved on this tractor?
This tractor for me will primarily be used to grade my 1000 foot long driveway. As well as perhaps for field mowing.

For those of you whom enjoy pictures............. These are from the ad only. My truck needs service and I can not do better pictures until maybe Wednesday evening.
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle Agricultural machinery

Tractor Motor vehicle Vehicle Agricultural machinery Automotive tire

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle

See less See more
#6 ·
Grin I hear you there. I keep hearing about all this global warming that is happening everywhere but in New England. I would love to see rain this winter.

Is it possible for you to post the shift pattern for the 641?
I finally got to see the 641. She is definately got some miles on her. Mostly cosmetic damage, some seals, yet she has alot of potential.

#12 ·
I have one of the old Q ball shifter balls on one of my tractors. They unscrew and can easily be changed should you find the need. Since it had a loader on it at one time I would be checking the axle carrier pin and the axle carrier for cracks and steering spindle/bushings.
You might want to also ask if he still has the fenders for it. You can probably adapt them to fit even with the roll bar. They will help keep some of the mud off you.

Kirk

#13 ·
My Jubilee has similar features. So if I can help let me know. You will have fun learning about the little Ford.
Regards,
Chris

#14 · (Edited)
So here they are....
Vehicle Tree Soil Automotive tire Landscape

Dig the fancy roll bar.

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

No, the owner has no idea where the fenders. For that matter he said "It originally had fenders?" Dig the fancy arm rests. The seat has a riser underneath I may just leave there. My long legs cramp on the 8n.
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle

A general up front pic
Automotive tire Tire Soil Vehicle Automotive wheel system

nice hood damage, just as bad on the other side. I may replace the hood as it has alot of other damage.
Vehicle

I know, that is a funky #9 ball. LOL, goes with the bad nemory. Complete with a dead battery. The light switch is the ignition kill.
Anime Cg artwork

I wonder if he knows about the tool box there. Emergency brake pawls dont have teeth anymore, easy enough to make the teeth with a file.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

Yup, needs a axle seal.
Tree Plant

And a pto seal
Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car

His toolbox does go with the sale, not sure about the contents of the non equipment. Grin
I would have taken more pictures yet the wife was imaptient. Tho later she remarked how this tractor wasnt as big as the JD 60 I had. Heck she even thought she might try to drive it. LOL, I know she is only blowing smoke. She is afraid to drive my zero turn radius mower. She claims there are too many levers. Grin, just 2 my dear.

#17 ·
The ford 703 or 720 were most likely use on that tractor. Also a Wagner, maybe a powR loader model.
Jack up the front and see what's loose. Spindle bushing, hub bearings,axle center pin and bushing (if badly worn may have started to wear the axle hole out in an egg shape),and I would also look for cracks on the axle carrier. Probably 4 out of 5 have been cracked on the (non industrial ones) I've had.

Kirk

#21 ·
As far as I could tell it was all good. The bushing that goes through the axle into the carrier looked badly beaten and could stand to be replaced.

I wondered why when earlier I went to look at the tractor and it seemed the hood was falling apart at the seems. Upon closer inspection I realized that the hood was spread to accomodate a 8n gas tank. Placing the tank into where a 641 tank would have been is considerably larger making alot of the hood no longer align correctly. Alas there is very little left of the original hood.

Not sure if I will replace it or try to find a good used one. Yet also the tank will get replaced as the 8n tank (it does hold fuel) is tiny in comparison. It looks to be about a 12 gallon tank, compared to the literature I have been reading that says a 641 should be around 21 gallons.

While the plug wires do carry fire to the cylinders. It looks as if a prior owner replaced the wires and never trimmed them to length. So all the spark wires are about 18 inches long. There is a alternator that is installed with a external regulator. A neighbor has a 8n rebuilt generator with matched regulator so I could easily go back to 6v. Not sure if I will. He wants $100 and on a limited budget, I can get a brand new one wire alternator for less than $50. As it is already 12v. Ford starters dont suffer the trauma that JD starters have. On a JD starter (ie a 420) the starter is driven into the flywheel with a solenoid. A 6v solenoid on 12v will impact and chew the flywheel. Ford uses a spring driven bendex starter. So it doesnt matter how quickly the teeth are engaged. It is all done when the power gets to the starter. As the starter spins up it torques the spring making the gear ride forward of the spring on the bendix. As the starter engages the flywheel the spring is at maximum torque to turn the flywheel. When power is stopped and the starter no longer gets power, the starter motor stops applying torque on the spring, allowing the spring to pull the starter teeth from the flywheel to disengage the starter. The fascinating thing I know, the starter design used on the model t Ford from the 1920's (1923 I think was the first year a electric start was used?). Is used up into the age of this tractor some 35 years later. So the argument of 6v over 12 is mute point on a Ford.

The argument of 6v over 12v goes back to a thread I posted back here (if you want to read the arguments of runing either or. http://antiquetractorsforum.com/showthread.php/1234-Why-use-6-volt

There are wiring issues as well. Lots of splicing, lots of wire nuts every where. When I get the tractor I will probably work on that first. That will get a new thread and of course I will post videos on my youtube channel of what I find.

Alot of things to do. All on a limited budget. So if any of you have or know where I can buy...... I will be looking for a hood and a correct gas tank (preferably with a good sender). I know I can buy senders with a guage new. Steiners and a couple of other places have the guage and sender listed (no tanks or hoods). I have been prowling around to see what is available.

#24 ·
Always fun to start in on a new project. Looking forward to the Ford pictures too.
Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Lovesthedrive
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.