Antique Tractors Forum banner

IH Hammer Mill

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bikerdave 
#1 ·
I had to retire the old Case hammer mill as it has a worn out bearing that I can't get apart. So for now I have resurrected an old IH hammer mill that is a little smaller but in better condition (I think). After some repairs and modifications I have it set up and tried it out for belt alignment with the Cockshutt 40 yesterday.
http://youtu.be/WgUbrz5Zjc8

#3 ·
I watched both videos of your hammermill. Brought back a lot of memories of working in the feedroom growing up. We had a Montgomery Wards hammermill. It had the hay conveyer attachment. We had a dairy for a few years and then went to raising dairy heifers, then to beef cattle. The hammermill was in a room below ground level of where the Farmall H sat, a small hole was broken through the wall of the feed room and the belt went down to the hammermill. The feed room was at the end of the grainery made from 2"x6" boards layed one on top of the last. It had a 2' square hole cut out at the bottom of the wall with 2"x6" s layed in grooves for the door, slide a board up and grain ran out of the grainery. Take a board out and push a short auger in to get the grain up to the hammermill. Dusty dirty work feeding it with hay and grain. The hammermill had a blower (like yours) to blow the feed to the big feed boxes at the head of the stantion barn. This was an every saturday chore. The H had to be lined up every time as it was used to haul manure....James

#4 ·
Cool video, Rusty. The old Cockshut just a purring away...Ours sat inside what we called the "driveway" because one side was the corn crib, the other side was the feed bin with the hammermill and the blow pipe, the center was 14' or so wide where we drove through with the loads of corn to shovel into the corncrib.
In line with the pully was a planked opening in the wall to remove and roll the flat belt out through. We'd have to put a twist in the belt also. The center had barn doors on each end and when not picking corn, was storage for machinery or the old '56 Ford F250. We usually ground feed with a MH 44. I can still hear it and the mill singing their duet...just like your pair of performers !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.