Antique Tractors Forum banner

Massey Furgeson 8 lawn tractor paint?

22K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  Sugarmaker 
#1 ·
Folks,
I now own a rough Massey 8 hp lawn tractor. It is a Hydra Speed. Kind of a neat little tractor. I may try to clean it up at some point. Our big show next year features Massey. So this little guy may get a face lift for that?
Does any one have good color match paints for wheels, frame, grill, and sheet metal. This can be rattle cans.
The frame seems to be gray.
The grill looks silver
The wheels, not sure, maybe gray.
Hood and set pan are red.
Also need to know if any one has found a good replacement seat?
And the charging system seems to be on the fritz too.
So it sounds just like all the other projects I bring home:)
I dont have any pictures yet. I did enough work to get it running, but not as good as I would like. Seems to be a carb issue.
Regards,
Chris

#2 ·
MFG by AMF 1972 - 1975 8HP Tecumseh 305cc 1-cyl gasoline.

1972: 500001 (Hydrostatic)
1973: 501717 (Hydrostatic)
1974: 100001 (Gear recoil)
1974: 300001 (Gear electric)
1974: 503932 (Hydrostatic)
1975: 101826 (Gear recoil)
1975: 306916 (Gear electric)
1975: 507934 (Hydrostatic

Paint codes.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Massey Ferguson

Ferguson GreyFerguson Grey 99L-3740 NAPA ( Martin Senour-Acrylic Enamel )

Massey Ferugson ColorsMF Red 99L-3823 NAPA ( Martin Senour-Acrylic Enamel )
MF Flint Grey 99L-3746 NAPA ( Martin Senour-Acrylic Enamel )

http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/massey_ferguson_tractor_parts_paint_358_ctg.htm

:D Al

#3 ·
Al,
Great! wow thanks for the detailed information and quick response!
That should get that correct paint issue resolved. Now I just need to dig in and get the little tractor in working order.
So you gave me two grays. Do you nkow which is light and dark? It looks like there are two grays on the tractor. Not being a Massey guy (yet) I am still learning. The frame looks like a darker gray and the grill looks lighter. Not sure which was used on the wheels? I am going to go look at some internet pictures of the tractor. Thanks again. May be doing some business with the local NAPA store. I have not used there paint but have heard good things about it.
Regards,
Chris

#4 ·
Folks,
I have to get the serial number on this little tractor. But does any one know the production numbers? I saw a coupl,e things on the net that leads me to believe that they are fairly rare? One in good condition went for $450.
I will try to get some pictures. Keep your expectations low.:) This tractor set outside for many years.
Regards,
Chris

#5 ·
I posted the serial number list above. They made 1716 the first year.
I don't do MF tractors so I can not say which gray is which but the paint store should be able to help out on that score.

I would not mind a 1100 or 1135 but Kare gripes about the 5000 Ford now being so big.

:D Al

#6 ·
Al,
I am not a Massey guy either. But have this tractor in position to to some work to it. I like the Ford 5000 tractor we had one and it did the majority of the farming work on 200 acres. Would be way to big for me at my place but would work good at my daughters farm.
Regards,
Chris

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Al,
Thanks I will check those links!
I just hate to see this stuff junked too. Wasn't sure if this one could be brought back it looked real bad and doesn't look much better now:)
Here are some shots.

New front and rear tires! I just hate flats! Was a little pricey but it rolls real good:)

This rim has not been cleaned yet.

Seat was junk, this old cub seat is not much better:) Have found some low back seats on line in the $65 range. Just add it to the list. I also need to find a knob for the hood latch lever. I stole it for the John Deere 110 project. (Maybe another thread later?)

Hydra speed decal and lever for forward and reverse. The hydro works real well and is easy for the granddaughters to drive. The stick of wood is used to go between the center knob and the seat tin. That keeps the hydro free for pushing the tractor around. I did not know what that knob did when I moved the tractor from the weeds and had to fight the thing the whole way on to the trailer.

Needs lots of work in hood hinge area. Rusted broken and messed up repairs. Really need new hood and grill assembly.

Just some before shots if I ever decide to clean it up. Needs something fixed or replaced to get it to charge. Yes its into me for a new battery too:) Although I did fix the recoil start so that will work now too. I forgot about that the other day when it would not start!

PO mod! Torched out the side of the grill around the muffler. Yuck! That needs replaced/ repaired. I picked up a chepo HF set of body tools the other day.
Still needs some carb work to get it to run right.

Those Indian motors! Different animal than the little Kohlers I am used to working on.

Left front rim cleaned up but wrong gray top coat.

Rear rims were cleaned and are in gray primer.

That's my story and stickin to it!
Again the goal might be to have it presentable for the July tractor show next year. I have a nice well used cheapo trailer, that if painted in Massey colors, to match might look good.

Regards,
Chris

#10 ·
Al,
1973: 501717 (Hydrostatic) I checked the serial number it is 1590 502462 So I assume it was made in 1973. Still going after 42 years!
I took the rear seat pan off tonight and used my new HF hammers and dollies to straighten the metal. Some welding of broken cracked sheet metal required.
Removed the duct taped temporary seat and measured the seat bolt pattern 5.5 inches front to back and 9 inches across. Will look for a good replacement low back seat on line.
Started a list of the repairs and parts needed. Finding more little things that are issues, which is normal.
Regards,
Chris

#11 ·
Chris with the Massey you'll have a little more shop room in which to progress with its repairs. I've seen similar Massys here in years past. One thing about these is they can be repaired as compared as to what has replaced them today. I'm sure you'll find a new tractor in it.

#12 ·
Jim,
Thanks! Not sure how I get myself into these things:) Just need something going on I guess.
Will keep you up to date on the little Massey.
Found a good replacement seat from Northern Tool. Part number V-3500. It may be a little taller in the back but the bolt pattern matches.
Regards,
Chris

#14 ·
Chris I have so many things here waiting for attention that I probably would keep a crew busy for a year or two. If I could get a grant for putting people back to work that would help.:lol:

#15 ·
Jim,
I always like it when I get help too. Just doesn't happen that often:)
Off to NAPA to check on paint prices. Not sure I need a quart, spray cans would be much easier. Really need to set my electrolysis tank back up for parts cleaning.
Al,
I may have to look at TSC too.
Regards,
Chris

#18 ·
Really? how could that be? This one has problems in lots of areas! Post a picture of yours. What are your plans for your tractor? They can all be brought back with enough time and money.
Jim,
I just picked up some Massey red and gray paint from TSC. but not sure if it is close to these colors on the lawn tractor? I missed getting to NAPA yesterday. Maybe will check on mixed paint from them today. I did order a med back seat
from Northern Tool last night.

I need to move Allis tractors and shop tools around to be able to get my welding bench out and use it again. Winter is not here yet and maybe I can get some work done on this little tractor.
Regards,
Chris

#17 ·
Chris I don't know if this will work for you but I think you may find spray cans of MF red at TSC. I also don't know of the quality, but I have used some IH red to basically be a protector against rust on parts and it has done the job on sheltered tractors.

#22 ·
Warrior,
The Wheel Horse does need some attention, But like I said its only time and money. I have a friend that is into Wheel Horse machines. Him and his brother have a dozen or more. Looks like a Kohler engine, so thats a good start. parts are available and they are a good engine to rebuild. Another forum you may want to view 1s the GT Talk (garden tractor) forum. They have specific sections just for all makes and models of lawn tractors.

The original title of this thread was paint and NAPA can mix it. For the a quart of red and a pint of each of the silvers it was $100. If I get the carb issues resolved and it running good I may opt to clean it up and paint it. Till then I am still playing with it. Took the carb off again yesterday to check the needle valve spring location. This was noted several times to be important. Did not seem to make any difference in the way the engine is misbehaving. Checked on a replacement carb. They are $50 plus shipping. I may have to try that route.
Regards,
Chris

#23 ·
Thanks for the info Chris, Yeah its a kohler I had it running at one time but the gaskets were so shot it leaked oil into the head and would burn off with the fuel so it smoked like a train. So I'm tearing it down fixing the engine and thought I would through a fresh coat of paint on it.

#26 ·
Folks,
Minor set back on the little Massey. Someone PO has monkeyed around with more things than I can shake a stick at!
Went to adjust the plastic gas tank and it fell off and broke the neck off the tank! Well tomorrow will be another day and will try a different angle on the project.
Carb is off again for another look and some seals.
Warrior, Those Kohler engines are strong when rebuilt.
Regards,
Chris

#27 ·
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. These old machines have many ways to drive us crazy, but we most always go back to them.

#28 ·
Jim, I
have a couple persimmons setting on the window sill what do i need to do with them?:)
Not sure why I play with these old tractors?
I did work on a 140? year old dresser for the great grandson today. I have reconstructed it, added new parts, new draw bottoms, stripped all the old paint, sanded the exterior smooth, stained it dark walnut and have applied 5 coats of clear polyurethane. Will get new stainless draw knobs, for some modern bling. Just a cheap set of drawers that may have been in the family or just bought by my mom and dad? This dresser has the unusual Knapp joints (peg and scallop) which were only made between 1870 and 1900. It was my dresser as a child and thought it would be a nice thing to pass on to Rhett. (maybe another thread:)) Some light sanding and then some more poly to be applied while the weather is nice.
Regards,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.