Antique Tractors Forum banner

Nuffield 342

9K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Kamilla9 
#1 ·
A very tough little tractor very economical Perkins 3 cylinder deisel it could pull a 4 furrow trailing plough,it was leaking
coolant into the oil took the head off it was ok put it together still leaking,head of againe sump off to check on cylinder
liners no leak put all together againe still leaked,getting a bit hot under the collar,this time left head on conected to radeator
took sump off and there it was leaking past no2 cylinder liner seal with the extra coolant in the head and radeator it was
enough head of water to start the leak man was I glad I only had to take it apart to get liner out and new seal she never let
me down againe

See less See more
#4 ·
BigDaveinKY said:
Good stout lookin' tractor. Do you know about when the photo was taken ?
Dave the photo would have been taken 1969 as far as I can remember.
Tha Ulsterscot said:
Did you boys get them new fitted with the perky, or has someone retro fitted it? The 3/42s here
had a BMC 3 cyl. engine fitted and it wasn't until the Leyland 245 that a perkins was fitted.
I am sure it was a perkins although time does some strange things to memorys,but if you look on the grill you can see what I
think is the Perkins badge

#5 ·
it is definitely fitted with 2,8 litre bmc power unit. Picture can tell it. It is turned around.

You can see casting for fuel pump gear, that is bmc and blmc type. Those bolts and casting is just same as they have. Perkins have different kind of castings (i think timing gear end is aluminium. And that is fitted with inline pump, perkins used mainly rotary type of pump. I dont think anyone had fitted old P3 engine, wich is very old fashioned type of diesel engine as bmc was that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.