Antique Tractors Forum banner

TD-6 loader /dozer added to the collection

33K views 68 replies 11 participants last post by  Jim in NC 
#1 ·
Thanks for bringing this back. I had thought about this a few weeks ago, and couldn't find it so it must have gotten lost in the last crash.

#30 ·
I myself havent had that much luck with cork. The correct gasket for a fuel bowl should be a flattened rubber o-ring. Are you aware that Tractor Supply offers gaskets for fuel bowls? I had to get one for my 641 Ford recently. $7 well spent if you ask me, got it right the first time and it worked. Otherwise McMaster Carr will sell you custom stamped rubber washers. Specify the OD and ID (approximately 1/4" smaller is sufficient).

I havent read through all of your posts, yet I hope you will be tensioning up that track. On my Case and John Deere the track was tensioned up by placing a 2x4 on the track between the idler and the front sprocket. The correct amount of sag should not exceed 1.5". Otherwise your likely to toss a track.

Too bad your not local to me. My garage is big enough for you to bring that in with my tractor.

#32 ·
Willy,
Thank you very much for the offer of garage space! Probably good I am not closer or I would be bugging you.
Thanks for the gasket info. Time will tell on this gasket. I looked today and did not see any leakage from the sediment bowl area. I like McMaster-Carr too. They have about everything you need and two day service also!
Regards,
Chris

#34 ·
Folks,
Just wanted to drag everyone along in this adventure.
This is a shot under the dozer looking up at the sediment bowl. Just enough room to get a 2 year old's hand up in there.

Close up. Even got a piece of grass between the bowl and the gasket. Just nasty under there:)

Top view this has room to get your hand between the frame and the engine. but the bowl wont fit!

Fuel filters in place. back one is filled. Guess I need to start the tractor on gas and bleed the primary and the injectors.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Lovesthedrive
#35 ·
Folks update,
The TD-6 started and moved after getting the track back together and bleeding the primary filter and the injectors.
Thanks for the support.
Regards,
Chris

#36 ·
Looks like your making good progress catching up on some much needed maintenance. Now you will be able to run it and know that she's mechanically solid.
That crawler must not be as easy to work on as the WD's.:lol:

#37 ·
My neighbor runs a dozer for his hobby business. He says its the most expensive piece of equipment to operate that he owns!
The old TD-6 is just worn and tired from many hours of work in 60 years. Yes I would say its much harder to maintain than the WD's:)
Everything is packed in tight. The machine is still very dirty after several pressure washing's.
The next big thing will be the track adjusters. Both right and left adjusters are in poor shape. Means splitting the track and getting at it!
After that some little things and we might be able to do some light work with it?
To put the power of the TD-6 in perspective these were 5 plow tractors in their day!
Regards,
Chris

#38 ·
Mud and dirt seems to work it's way into all sorts of places that are hard to get to with the pressure washer.
There's usually 1 or 2 TD-6's at our local tractor show. I've seen 'em plow there and they can really turn over some dirt.
Keep us posted on your progress with the track tensioners.

#39 ·
Only true way I have ever had of getting all the mud out was to drive it through a very deep stream.

I am confused about your adjusters. You should not need to split your tracks. Get or rent a portapower, and spread the track slightly and the adjuster should come off. No need to do extra work. Splitting tracks can be a pain!

#40 ·
Folks,
Update on the"6"! We are back to spring and this had been calling my name as I walked buy it each day! I moved some dirt and also used it to push some unwanted slabs out of the way for future wood cutting.
Some Pictures:

It started right up and switched to diesel as it should.

Going hoodless:

passing neighbors pond.

The work on the brakes really made a difference in trying to steer the TD6. Turning left with just the stick is a normal slow turn. Tapping the brakes and it pivots quickly, holding the brake and it pivots with left track stopped.

Heading to the slab pile in 4th gear.

I had most of this clear out the day before. Took another trip back to get some action shots in the daylight.:)

The money shot

Getting some more quality time I can now run the machine pretty smmothly.

We had some serious pressure washing after play time! When done I looked worse than the tractor!:)
Thanks for checking in on me.
Have several other projects ahead of this one but still thinking on Willy's advice for the track adjuster work.
Regards,
Chris

#41 ·
Love that air filter. Looks like what is found on a JD 420 crawler. Or was I not supposed to notice that?

Another alternative to moving the idler? If the tractor is locked in gear so it wont move, I have heard of using the hydraulic angle blade and a piece of chain to pull the fromt idler forward. Or a come along from the blade to the front idler.

#43 ·
Willy,
The air filter system which need some attention is one with a oil cup on the bottom Which is missing. and then had a glass jar screwed on to the upper portion.

Good suggestions for pulling the idler forward. I will try to remember that trick too. Might work with a chain to the bucket.
Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Lovesthedrive
#46 ·
Folks,
Like most I have had a busy summer. But have carved out a little time to work on the TD6.

The starter needed removed and cleaned. I have removed engines easier! It weighs about the same and is tucked behind fuel lines and even part of the support frame had to be cut away. Some areas too small to gte your fingers into.

almost out

very worn starter switch. It was saved by the folks that cleaned and put in new brushes.

contact was quite worn.

Ok its out!

This has a manual gear engagement system to drive the flywheel.

The generator was next on the list to be replaced.

The goal was to transition to a alternator and new wiring.

Here is a shot of the new small alternator, chosen for its size as much as any thing. New custom support bracket was built to align the alternator with the tractor pulley.

starter back in place

new volt meter installed

even installed a temporary seat.

new key switch will be placed in the home position when the weather clears.

BTW the system does work! Here is how I wired it. ( may do some work on the alternator wiring if I have a battery drain issue)

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Wi11y
#47 ·
Yeah I have had some ford trucks that had 4 bolts originally. Upon bolting the starter back in I would opt not to put that 4th bolt back in due to the complexity of taking the bolt out.

#48 ·
Folks,
Believe it or not I am still alive. And working on this old iron too.
I have a lot of stuff over on the Red Power forum too. The hydraulics quit working and one thing lead to another and pretty soon I am restoring the IH emblem on the grill.
Here are some recent pictures:

Pump is behind bent grill guard that needs to come off at some point.

without the big grill guard. Tractor grill is exposed, and its not pretty.

Pump drive spline was worn, and I believe this was the issue. Will know soon.

new coupler wire EDMed

off comes the grill guard:

Tractor grill was not in good shape, maybe that needs a little fixin too.

Regards,
Chris

#49 · (Edited)
Fast forward a couple weeks:
Yep grill is off:

before:

out of the body shop and E-tank dip:

oh yea belly pan was dangling by a couple bolts so down that comes for a clean and coat too:

The hood? why not, while I am in there. Cheryl is so tickled! This needed some welding and straightening too.

Headlights sure they need some attention too:

Starting to come back together: This will be a clean fix and paint on only some portion of the machine and original patina on the rest.

rear cover straightened and cleaned up:

Great grandson Rhett yelling "start it Papa"!

Grill guard reworked:

tracks tightened to near spec.

New spring covers to be built soon:

Regards,
Chris

#50 ·
Love that useful revamp of the floor hoist!

Reactions: Sugarmaker
#52 · (Edited)
Folks,
Just ordered a bunch of small stuff for the TD6 from Steiner's today. Light components, temp gauge and injection pump gauge ( I hope its the right one).
Here are some pictures of the TD6. I have tested the hydraulics and the coupling was the issue.
I removed the right side diagonal brace and had to drill out and re-tap 3 of the attachment holes. Much quality time under the "6"! Strained my back trying to get that back in place and am paying for it now.

Spring covers shaped and trial fit:

Maggie helping me work under the TD6:

Welded in 1/4 inch plat patch in the worn bucket:

Grill guard repaired and touched up:

It moves!

Regards,
Chris

#53 ·
Folks,
Just checking in.
Well the strained back turned into sciatic nerve pain down the left leg. Cant sleep much so the post is at 2:11 in the morning! doctoring now and hope for some relief/ improvement in the leg pain.

We have moved from wood heat to new high efficiency propane furnace. Will see how we like that. Have heated the house with wood for 31 years!
Had to replace a leaking Hydraulic hose on the TD6. Also got the lights done and installed. New water temp gauge too. But seems to run cool, either gauge is not correct or may not have a thermostat in the system? It (TD6) continues to absorb funds!:)
TD6 needs tarped for winter again.
Regards,
Chris

#54 ·
Folks,
Some pictures:
used ebay light:

New parts for lights. E-tank, paint, gaskets, reflectors from Stieners, bulbs, SST hardware.

fuel pressure gauge too:

Regards,
Chris

#55 · (Edited)
Chris sorry about your pain and hopefully your doctor can get it controlled. I have had.the same issue in back and right leg since last winter and now take a daily dose of meloxicam to combat it. Good to see.the crawler coming along too!

#56 ·
Jim,
Not sure but it may be from getting older and no wiser? Me anyway! Still lifting stuff like I was a kid. Just cant do that stuff at 65!
Hope things are good in NC. Sure hope your on the mend.
How was the persimmon crop this year? we still need to swap some PA maple syrup for NC persimmon jam!
Regards,
Chris

#57 · (Edited)
We wear our bodies doing what we do. Some of my issues can be traced to heredity. My lifting ability was reduced drastically 9 years ago this month from an auto accident. I still can lift fairly good from the ground to my waist but after that my strength is very limited. Also made an error in above post. My back medication is meloxicam. We also forget alot at this age.

Send me a pm and/ or your phone number and we can talk about persimmon jam and maple syrup, one of Miss Joanne's favorite things. The persimmon trees continue to live up to their unpredictability. Trees that had none last year have a.good crop this year and some that were loaded last year are on vacation this year.

#58 ·
Folks, Jim
About the time of the last post to this thread I was a hurting puppy. Back (saitica) was not good! I was able to get hooked up with a doctor in the Pittsburgh area who was interested in helping me.

Here are some pictures of the TD6 as I just had to get it started when the snow was about 3 foot deep and the temps were about zero. Had to get a new battery for it. And it protested a lot. But I coaxed it to life and had fun pushing snow around for a hour or so.

Second attempt to start it the old starter switch went south and I am having that restored by a local shop.

Regards,
Chris

#59 ·
I have to be a little careful regarding my back too Chris. Also I had a surgical procedure in November and was on restricted activity for 6 weeks. I have many chores on the list, and I believe like many other things that they may be passed.to those that come after me. It is nice though to be able to choose from the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.