Antique Tractors Forum banner

I am back

8K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  josephfranklin166 
#1 ·
I hope. Got a new Chromebook and finally got things changed today, password changed and then changed back to what it always was. Had a hard time but good to go....I think. This place is so different than anywhere else I visit so looked around for a while trying to figure it out a little.

Anyway I heard JR passed and wanted to check in. Sad deal. Don't know how much I will be here or who is still around. Life has changed a lot for me. Had surgery on my left ankle Oct 6 last, removed joint and fused it. Hasn't gone well, slow to fuse. Still have 2 pins. Had to have 2 rods removed and cast taken off because of infection, been in and out of an air boot since. Lot of time flat on my back because I only get 1 chance at this. 4 more weeks on crutches totally, then get the pins removed, 6 weeks of crutches, touch but no walking on it, then the special rocker bottom. Leg will be about an inch short, will need a lift on the sole of my shoe after that. Then probably hip replacement. We will see. Can't do water therapy because of the pins, so just massage on calf muscle and toe movement without stressing fusion. Calf muscle has withered to nothing, will be a lot of work there. Any way we are living at the beach in the little cottage. Not doing anything or getting out much. Getting restless, I am usually getting potting soil and pots ready to garden by now. Was a wet December, then the last week it was cold....for here, even had snow at the beach once, Monday after New Years. Anyway, I will look around and try to get this place figured out. Good to see you all....James

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see you back. Sounds you got caught up on some things that happened. Beyond what you have noted you have missed much else here. Pretty slow going here lately. I hope you continue to get yourself mended back up.

Reactions: John P
#3 ·
jwal10 Good to hear from you again,you are having a tough time with your ankle and a while yet
by the sound of it,hope it all comes right for you.JR passing was like a real friend had gone he was a good guy,just us old fellas on here now be good if you could stay a while and join us some
new thinking as I remember the posts you sent in were well thought out and interesting.

#5 ·
Hey James! Sorry to hear about your health problems but hopefully things are beginning to turn around for you. Like the others said we have endured a lot of changes since you were here. I look forward to your posts and am happy that you checked on us. Miss Joanne sez I need to be watched on a regular basis!

#7 ·
Hi James!! Good to see you back on the boards. :drinks: A few of us "Original cast members" still hanging around.
Seems the older we get the longer it takes to heal. Well, me anyway. Hope you get back on your feet as soon as possible. Don't push it too much and listen to the doctors.

#13 ·
Was sorry to see CAT gone, I checked in once in a while there. Not doing much in the farming way anymore and with health problems I lost interest for a while as the use of only a cell phone got harder to keep up. This site was near impossible there at the end. Really miss Betty and others here. Son has started a little farming on a place we reinherited, 240 acres total now. He and I made a trip to Nebraska before my surgery to pick up a 4000 JD I had bought to go with my 2520. On the way back we picked up a 4040 and a 3020 in central Washington. The 4040 is the Sons to run with the 2550 we kept for mowing. The 3020 is a project, P.S. fwa. The 4040 is P.S., fwa, needed paint, new interior and a full service. Son has been working on it this winter and got it painted 2 weeks ago, haven't seen it since we got it home. Trip was nice in the old GMC Astro, Aero and single drop deck, like old times when Son and I hauled silage and wheat. I got the pins pulled because my body was rejecting them, Dr. seems to think it was slowing the healing too. New air boot and being very careful. Also some problems with infection in my teeth. I have no immune system anymore because of all the drugs. I feel better everyday since the pins and 2 teeth were pulled. Well anyway, thanks for the comebacks. I do check in nearly everyday, just not very talkative, I guess....James

#16 ·
Had a good summer and fall. We took a few trips, Went down I-5 all the way to San Diego. A good friend of Sweeties was very sick. We stopped at her house in Bakersfield to see her the day Merle Haggard died. We were going to Long Beach for the meet/reunion with her and other friends that all grew up together. Glad we stopped as she was not able to travel. We got to go see the boxcar that Haggard grew up in at the museum there. We came back up the Coast on Hwy 101, 2 week trip. Later we went up to the Canadian border along the sound and came back home the Coast route. Several trips to Wallowa Lake cabin and a lot of time at the beach cottage. I even helped Son some at the farm. Driving tractor and combine, haven't driven a truck yet. Leg is doing well for what it is, no movement so calf muscle had atrophied to nothing. Has helped some after I got a light shoe set up with the rocker bottom. The heavy boot that we thought I needed was just too stiff and heavy. My hip and knee are even doing well. I can stride out now, not putting stress on the hip. Still feels like a club, some nerve damage, seem to stumble a lot but slowly getting better....James

#18 ·
Glad you made it back to the site James. It has been challenging chore for many members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.