COUNTRY LONGINGS #69

COUNTRY LONGINGS #69

Postby Tamara Hillman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 am

Do I dare mention spring yet? This has been one cold and weird winter for most of the USA—Even Arizona got snow in Scottsdale, just a half hour drive north of us, and Tucson, a couple hours southeast, the other day covering all the outdoor spring-training fields, and stadium roofs…Oh my! Anyone still believing in ‘Global Warming’ doesn’t live down here!

Well, I’m hopin’ the snow and cold in your part of the country is receding. It’s so great to see crocus, bluebells, buttercups, wild daisies, golden rod, and sunflowers popping up on hills, and meadow as snow disappears to welcome another spring. Though, when Easter came to northeastern Washington State where I was raised, we’d still be leapin’ snow banks to hunt those colorful eggs unless the date was late in April when it would be warmer and usually sunny. And flowers were generally covering the hills more toward the end of April than March—we were only eighty miles from the Canadian border, so that explains why our winters were long and cold with spring coming late most years.

This year, Easter is barely going to catch the end of this month, so churches are making ready for Lent and Palm Sunday already. Being a Baptist, I know most of our events will be planned around food, so I’m sure an Easter banquet is in the works by now. (No wonder I struggle with a weight problem continuously!)

As a youngster, my church experience was not withstanding. The one thing I most hated was going to the little, log, Lutheran Church my mother, aunt, and their parents belonged to. It was very, very small with no youth program, but a catechism we cousins were all forced to attend in order to join the church, (whether we wanted to or not) and have a water-sprinkling baptism after finishing the lesson book at around twelve or thirteen. I hated the whole idea, and found that church so painfully boring, it almost drove me wild. The preacher was very stern, and I can honestly say, I never saw him smile. Kids were to be totally controlled-little-robots sitting like statues at all times in his services, and never to speak unless spoken to. Yuk! All that brought out in me was rebellion—certainly not love for God, myself, or my fellow human beings!

I’m grateful Mom made us go to church though to at least introduce us to the fact “THERE IS A GOD”, but if it were up to that particular church to teach me about salvation, and having a personal relationship with Christ, it never would have happened.

I also look forward to this time of year because spring is soon to come with all it’s beautiful greenery bursting forth on barren trees and shrubs, flowers are opening in glorious colors, and people are crawling out of warm dens to communicate with each other face to face once again.

As a kid, this time of year also meant “new life” was bustin’ out all over. Calves were being born right and left, and so were sheep, so things were beginning to get goin’ again after a long winter lay-off by late March. There were fields to be planted, and garden plots to be plowed under with lots of rich chicken or horse manure before spring plantin’ came in early May up where we lived.

The only thing I dread about spring now is; knowing another sweltering summer of Arizona heat will soon be upon us. We try to travel back up north to see the kids & grand-kids at least six weeks out of every summer to escape the worst of it, but can’t be away the four long months when it’s so hot you can fry an egg on the sidewalk any day of the week. Now, I’m not complainin’ ‘cause the other eight months are divine, so I’ll take the trade off.

Write and tell me what your fondest memories of spring are…

Is there anything as soothing as a warm Chinook Wind in spring? Here’s a poem that hopefully will take you on a lovely journey riding those winds…

WHISPERS ON THE WIND

Wind blowing gently across brow an’ cheek,
whispering—revealing secrets we keep.

Wind can be our master, even our best friend,
taking us to places we have never been.

Wind beyond horizons, billowing in sails,
whispering in dreams—poems we’ve yet to tell.

Wind sweeping beaches, swaying tallest trees,
moving to the rhythm of gulls and bumblebees.

Wind pushing clouds brisk across the sky,
children forming images as they scurry by.

Wind bringing memories tearing at the heart,
deepening the wound of lovers torn apart.

If only we would listen, we surely could depend
on messages from Heaven whispering on the wind.

Tamara Hillman
©2005
Tamara Hillman

Re: COUNTRY LONGINGS #69

Postby bettyp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 am

Tamara thanks for the reminded that spring is around the corner.
The things I love about springsi watching the naked trees when the new
keaves are starting out and very surprising look out one moring and see the
trees is all covered with beautiful new leaves , That is encouragingto me , it
seems to say God is still in control. Another things I love the little wrens coming
back to nest in my bird house and starting a family, This tell me Life goes on ,no
matter what happens. I love Spring but also love all the 4seasons .
bettyp

This is the day the Lord hath made I will rejoice and be glad in it.
bettyp
Special Member 2

Postby mike1111 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Things I look forward to in Spring is watching new calves getting up for the first time as thet get their legs under them. And the smells, as the trees start to bloom and the smell of ground being plowed, the smell of grass being cut for the first time. As always thanks for the poem and the time to remember, enjoy your Spring......mike
Every morning is the dawn
of a new error.
mike1111

Postby BigDaveinKY » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Yes, you can say Spring. :D The Jonquils are in full bloom here and I'm surprised my bride doesn't already have a vase full on the table. ;)
You couldn't tell from the cold weather that has settled in over the past week though. Sure feels like February again.
The fruit trees in full bloom is what I look forward to every Spring. First the peaches, then the apples, and pears.
The sweet aroma they fill the air with, and watching the honey bees working the blooms.
No matter where you go.......There you are.
BigDaveinKY
Global Moderator

Postby Tamara Hillman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 am

You're all sooooooo right about the joys, beauty & smells of spring! I feel the same.....
Believe it or not, in early April thru' the entire month, the desert down here is in full bloom, and the cacti are gorgeous, (some with blooms 8 to 10 inches across) in an array of colors. Too bad the blooms only last one month!!!
But my Lantana & Boganvilla bushes, (and the like) in my yard are covered in bloom by then too, and last until our first freeze (around December).
I don't know what JONQUIL is, or what state they bloom in, Dave, but they must be native to your area.....Never heard of them out west here..... What flower family are they from, or is it just a different name for one I would be familiar with?
Thanx for writin', folks! I love hearin' from y'all....Tamara
Tamara Hillman

Postby BigDaveinKY » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 am

That's all I know them by, we called them "Easter flowers" as a kid, you may know them by a different name.
Try this link...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_jonquilla
No matter where you go.......There you are.
BigDaveinKY
Global Moderator

Postby Jim in NC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Nature wakes and becomes alive in the Spring. It invigorates us all. I am looking forward to experiencing Spring again this year!
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from a cornfield." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." Henry David Thoreau
Jim in NC
Moderator & Donor

Postby Tamara Hillman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Dave,
We call those DAFFODILS out West.....In fact my daughter's home city (Puyallup, WA.) even has a Daffodil Parade in March with floats covered in them in beautiful arrays.
Tamara
Tamara Hillman

Postby jwal10 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Again thanks for the memories. Good and bad. I too was brought up in a very controlling church and home. Everyday I heard the'You are going to hell speech. I wasn't a bad kid just too much energy and no where to expend it. Polio kept me in the house a lot, doing "girl" things with/for Mom. I wanted to be out running free and the braces and crutches frustrated me. I became very resentful and hated going to church. I knew there was love there but I was with God by myself not around others and especially when you had to do and be something you didn't want to do or be. I hated church from about 8 on and when I lost my Grandfather at 12 and my direction, church (religion) was where my strongest rebellion came. Very hard for me (grandmother was my only "friend") and I could not do what she wanted me to do so my only option was to leave home. I burned my bridges and was completly on my own. I knew at the time it was going to be tough but I needed my freedom at all cost. It was best for me as it released my hatred for everything in my world but it brought me to God at my lowest time and I knew and felt him in my life, big time for several years. My one great regret in life was I never did reconcile with my Father or Grandmother before they passed, only time, wife and kids was I able to get beyond my past and have a few years with my Mom. I was with her the last 3 days of her life and for her last breath to see her smile and I felt her strength leave her body while holding her hand. It has given me strength for these last 10 years. Oh and spring, new beginning, new hope, new life. I love spring. Thanks for the memories....James
jwal10
Great Member 2

Return to Country Longings